Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Danelectro Round 3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Mar 6, 2006.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well I just saw an add for the "New and Improved" Dano's. The LongHorn Bass (4string only) and the guitar. This will be round 3. Round 2 the basses were only $300 List and we could buy them everywhere for about $200. This round they are now $600. Are these really worth it? I know that you cannot touch a Mid-90's reissue for under $300. The Jerry Jones versions are over $600 and the originals are well into the $1500+ range. I like them, I have played them and I backed out of buying an original and a reissue. I love my Hondo Longhorn, but sometimes the original is better.
    Thoughts???:confused:

2. well, i am not really a big dano fan, and i think 300 is a little steep to begin with...if you wanted one, i'd start looking at the mid-90's reissue longhorns and maybe they will go down in price...

3. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Most of the reissue basses are hovering right around $250 to $300 for the '90's version. I am hoping that the Dano' site is listing a MSRP instead of a selling price.
    I am not a big fan of the original, but I do want one.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Wow, you are the only other person I've seen with a Hondo Longhorn. Sold mine years ago and actually regret it. Personally, I liked it better than the original danelectro.

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have 3. I love them. I bought my first in 1982. Still have it. Since then I have bought 2 others, but I like my first one best. I have never actually played an original.

6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I had one too...great bass; I also liked it better than the danos I've briefly checked out. Probably should've kept mine too. Picture:
    [​IMG]

Those Jerry Jones ones are nice though! Better construction and better tone than Danelectro (IMO). Maybe the newest version is better though.

Marshall

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    My Jerry Jones Longhorn Basses, 4 and 6-string.
    [​IMG]

8. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I just think those are F**king cool looking. So 1950's...

9. iamthebassman,
    Those two JJs look a lot nicer that the one I played last week. It was a neptune version with the gotoh bridge but it was solid copper with white vinyl, white lined pickguard and had the non matching headstock. I bargained the guy down as far as $390 but to tell the truth, I decided that I actually like my dano much more. I didn't have the cash but if I really loved it, I would have sold something - decided to just walk away. I have played other, older, JJs that I liked more than this copper one.

YMMV

Peace,
    S

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I liked the Danelectro reissues that came out a few years back for around $300. They were a better bass than the original Dano from the late 50s. My first bass was an original Dano Longhorn in 1960. I got a Fender as soon as I could afford one (within a year) But I did learn how to play bass on the Dano. It cost $80 in a Seattle music store. The Fender P cost me about $300 new.

I tried the reissues when they came out. Better necks and construction than the original. Actually, very good necks with excellent fret work. I bought a DC 34" scale model which I strung up with TI flats and still have. It's a fun little bass to play and with a small amount of foam under the strings at the bridge gets an upright like sound.

I tried a couple of Jerry Jones and while they were nicely made, I didn't care too much for the sound. It could have been the factory strings though.

That Joey something or other guy with NRBQ gets a great thump out of his originals and JJs live. I've seen them live several times. Great show band and good players too. That Dano sound is his trademark.

One thing about the Dano-you really don't want to have to go inside to do any wiring changes. It's scary. Looks like a rat's nest in there.

I've thought of changing the lipstick pickup out for something better, but then it wouldn't sound like a Dano anymore. Anyhow, it's a good bass for $300 dollars. The cheesy rosewood topped bridge is one of the keys to its unique sound, I think. The latest round seems to have "improved" it. I like the sound of the rosewood bridge.

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I only discovered the new ones just the other day. I did not know they were being made again! The list price on the newest ones is $599! So i am thinking they will come in at about $399 on the floor.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A Danelectro DC "First Edition Reissue" has come up for sale in Ottawa. They want $399CDN including a case. That's about $350US and from what I have seen looking around seems a bit high.

There is no picture and no mention of colour. I have been wanting to try a semi-hollow so I may go and try it anyway.

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Spampinato...

...that's funny, he's the only cat I think of when I think of diehard Dano-players.

14. MegaBassET

MegaBassET

Dec 1, 2005
    Milan
    As you can check in my profile I also own a Dano Longhorn Reissue, 30" scale.
    I like it a lot and use it regularly with flatwound strings.
    The price on the market has really increased since when I bought my one about 18 months ago. Now it's more than 300€ from my 180€.
    I think the price is correct just in case the axe is in mint conditions. Otherwise there are more flexible options on the market.
    But the look is absolutely terrific!

ET

15. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I paid $399 Canadian for my DC without a case, new, when they came out. That was the going price in Toronto then.

Mine is a grey "mother of toilet seat". It has the smaller guitar style tuners (had to drill out the E to fit the Thomastic flats) and the rosewood bridge.

Completely unique sound. With flats and a bit of foam muting it gives a close to double bass bottom. Live, it doesn't fill in the bottom the way a good P with the same flats does.

With the original roundwounds it was very bright and twangy.

16. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm loving my DC. Awesome neck. This thing really thumps and gets down and dirty with flats. I'd highly recommend it; the best sounding masonite, plywood, pot metal and cheapo plastic bass you will ever find!

Billy-Bob

17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    So, does anybody know where the hell you can find the new reissues?

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for the reviews. They finally posted a picture and the bass is a bright red. That just won't work in the band :scowl:

Songbird link

19. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have not found any:confused:

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member