1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DanoMaster Project!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by smcfarland1337, May 17, 2012.

1. First things first, this is my first topic created in TB Forums! Been here for a good while, but never made an actual topic.

Anyways, onward to my question.

I've got the bright idea to find me a Jazzmaster guitar body and turn it into a bass. I also want to add Danelectro lipstick pickups for the hardware.

And, well, that's as far as I've gotten so far.
    I figured I would come ask you guys what would be an issue with this and what exactly I would need to do to make this happen.

I have built an entire bass guitar before. A solid body GL Tribute body style starting from just a long cut of Cedar.
    I did not do the electronics however (had a guy do those).

My main concern would be fitting the pickups in I suppose. But I was thinking that if I just make a custom sized pick guard, would that be enough?
    As in, if I get a pre-routed Jazzmaster body, then I add the lipstick pickups, would just making the pick guard go up to the pickups be enough to not cause problems with the open space left from the cut outs?

I don't see any glaring problems with what I'm trying to do, but then again, I'm not a luthier, so that's why I figured I would come here and ask.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

-Shane

2. Shameless self bump.

3. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    You can find dano necks online. I recently put a bass vi together with one of their baritone 30 in necks. You will need to widen the neck pocket to fit, then move the bridge back to suit your scale. Then you might find that you need to route more from the body for a suitable pickup placement. Not hard to do, just more than it first seems. I've got two basses that used guitar bodies now and love them.

4. Thanks man!
    That's about all I figured it would take to get the project done.

5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
  6. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Jazzmaster bodies have big holes in them for the tremolo.
    [​IMG]

If you get a custom one from warmoth you probably won't have much trouble.

Here's a Jazzmaster inspired bass I put together.
    SXJM.jpg

7. Ah. Did not know about the giant tremolo hole.
    But Warmoth ones come without them if you request it?

8. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Warmoth Jazzmaster bodies don't have to be routed for a tremolo; they can be ordered for use with a hardtail bridge and with or without any pickup routing done.

9. Can't wait to see this build..subscribed!

Meyatch, that bass is hawt :)

10. Ah thank you for the info!

Also to the person above me, this will no doubt be a long time coming, but I will be sure to update here as time goes on!

11. I thought I reined to this last night, sorry.

Thank you for the info about Warmoth, I have looked into it.

And to the person above me, this will be a long time coming type of project, but I'll be sure to post whatever updates I have in this thread!

12. Okay so. Issue.
    I need to ask your guys opinions on the subject at hand.

I'm a broke college student and I am currently searching for a job as hard as I can.
    However, until then I have little money to spend on little projects such as this.
    So I'm trying to buy these items for cheap on sites like eBay/amazon/Craigslist etcetc.

Well last night I got jibbed into a Black Fender Bronco body on eBay for $35. So that's on it's way.
    I went to Warmoth and tried to get the cheapest Jazzmaster body and a cheap neck and the total of those two items were in the $700+ range.
    Clearly I do not have that money.

So here's where you guys come in.
    First of all, is there anywhere to get bodies and necks for cheap besides the sites I currently search daily?

Secondly, what should I do? Should I go on with the Bronco body and just do the project now, or should I try to sell the Bronco body and delay the project an unforeseen amount of time until I can find a Jazzmaster body in my price range?

Thanks for any help and ideas, and sorry I completely ruined this project. Trust me, I was really into it too.

13. Both Rondo and GFS carry necks that are right at 50 bucks:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Bass-Bodies-and-Necks_c_293.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/partsbodies.html

GuitarFetish bass necks are all longscale. Rondo does have the short scale necks from time to time but only has longscale ones listed atm.
    A long scale neck may work with a bronco body or may not. You can always route out the pocket to get a fit no problem. My main concern would be the overall length of the combination....is there going to be enough bronco body to properly place the bridge for 34 scale.
    You can check rondo's site every few days to see if any shorty necks show up or just give them a call and ask when they will have more.

OR.....buy a long neck and build a body "Dano style"....wooden frame with masonite top and bottom :) It would be cheap and there are plenty who have done it.
    GuitarFetish carries those Dano styled lipstick pickups too...very reasonably priced. Then, save that bronco body for your 3rd build :)
    I'm sure others will chime in with some ideas so don't give up!

14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    If it were me, I wouldn't be satisfied in the end if I changed my plan because of monetary reasons and being in a hurry. I would be patient and hold out for the Jazzmaster body.

15. Another update.
    I really want another body I found.

It's a 60's Decca bass body. I like it a lot, plus it's vintage, which is nice most the time.

I mean, yes I really want the Jazzmaster but I just don't see that kind of money coming through until my job comes in.

I have a plan set up to where if I buy this Decca body a friend is going to pay for the Bronco so I only pay for one body.

So I don't know what I'm going to do. Without the money I can't build anything. But I want to build something.
    I think I'll just go through with this project and then go with the Jazzmaster later when I have the appropriate funds to get stuff that isn't cheap, I'll go ahead with the Jazz project.

16. Okay. Update again.

So I didn't get the Decca body, someone sniped me with literally 1s left on eBay.
    I was super upset about that haha.

But the Bronco body came in today so I'm going to just go ahead with that.

I'll probably end up painting the body and getting either a random neck from eBay/amazon/Craigslist or that site someone above me posted.

I am still going through with the Dano pickups though. I'm thinking humbucker lipsticks at the bridge then a single lipstick for the neck.
    Might add a thumb rest.

I'll keep you guys updated as always.

Anyone has quick tips about painting a body, let em be known!

Thanks!

17. Okay not really an update as I'm still neck searching, but a few questions.

First things first, while I wait for a neck I'm deciding pickups and body colors.
    I'll probably paint the neck as well (same color as body obviously). What would I need to do that as far as likes sealers and primers? (I didn't paint the other bass I built, I just put a simple clear satin coat on it to ring out the wood.)

Secondly, the pickups. I want to have the Dano lipstick pickups as I mentioned before, but I want humbuckers on the bridge and a single on the neck. I have seen basses with humbucker Dano lipsticks with no problems so I should be fine with that setup, yes?
    If not, would it be viable to put three single lipsticks in the bass? One at neck, one in the middle, and one at the bridge obviously.

And last but not least, I don't plan on doing this yet, but a buddy of mine got me interested in an idea. What if I was to take a Tele guitar body, an cut the left (if you're looking at it) round cutaway fin, straight down, kinda pointy to look like a 360 Ric. I imagine it an did a quick sketch out and well, it looked pretty cool to me and would be the closest thing to a real Ric I could have for awhile.

Oh well, any thoughts, ideas, help etc. is much appreciated.

Thanks!