1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dark star pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fuNKmaster83, Apr 8, 2006.

1. has any one played a bass with DARK STAR pu?
    I was wondering how does a single DS perfor hum, noise vise?

Thanx for your help!

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  3. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I played a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody with Dark Star Pickups once. They have an amazing vintage tone and live up to the Hype. I didn't notice any hum or noise when I was just had one pickup on.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The Darkstars are amazing basses. I've got a Dearmond Starfire here with Dark Star pickups and it sounds amazing.

I used it at gigs where I soloed the pickups, and I never had any problem with hum.

That said, they ARE single coil pickups, so the amount of hum you experience will be directly related to shielding, grounding, flourescent lights, bad power, etc.

But, don't let that scare you away. The Dearmond is going away, but this is not the last bass I'll own with Dark Stars.

5. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I've been gigging with a DS-ed former P-bass for months now. It does hum, don't think it won't. Every single coil pup does, right?

But dude, it sounds fantastic and I love it.

6. thanx for all your support!
    I have asked at dude pit and they answerd too!
    I am not afraid to try them out any more! I will just have to studie the problems and fix them as they come.
    Thanx a lot guys and my da FUNK be with you!