1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Darkglass B7k v2 vs Alpha Omega Ultra ultimate combination choice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Christian N, Jun 6, 2018.

1. B7k -> B7k Ultra v2

15.8%
  2. B7k -> Alpha Omega Ultra

26.3%
  3. Alpha Omega V1 -> B7k Ultra V2

36.8%
  4. Just get the plugin

5.3%
  5. Don't worry, the Giga v30 will be out soon (joke)

15.8%
  1. Christian N

Christian N

Feb 12, 2013
    * Please read entire post before voting, thanks! I have a situation, but looking for the ideal combo too! A "WHY" comment would also be helpful!

I already have a limited darkglass b7k v1with the "Gannon" graphic.
    I was considering getting a darkglass Alpha Omega Ultra to complement it.

I also have a SansAmp programmable Bass DI that I've gotten along with forever. I've never had the regular model, but this on has so much gain, it's also great! In fact, I've used it more than the b7k because it was less edgy without a cab sim and I tend to run direct.

I'd be running the B7k v1 into the Alpha Omega Ultra, to use the cab sim on both together (or the b7k or AO).
    I'd take the parallel out of the b7k direct to interface (or I'd use another DI box if applicable for live etc), so I could get a clean tone to mix in my DAW/board etc.

This sounds like a winning combination, BUT I'd rather get the best combination. Sure, saving a few bucks is great, but...

Comment on what you think is best for me, but also comment and vote what you think is the best combination period.

The plugin is also an alternative. In a way, it seems that buying all the darkglass stuff is a bit stressful because there always seems to be a new model around the corner... at the same time, a big selling point is the the IR that come with the latest models and the ability to use them live.
    I'm mostly a guitar player and at the moment I'm mostly recording, but who knows.. I played bass in the last band I was in because it was an electronic band... everything I did on guitar made it sound like Ministry's Psalm 69 album... But I also prefer to play bass live, subscribing to the same idea as Nolly, who basically sees guitar as a fiddly/delicate instrument to rock out on stage with.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  2. Christian N

Christian N

Feb 12, 2013
    A "why" would be nice too!

3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Can't go wrong with any of these combinations. but if you ask me, use the b7k for preamp and the alpha omega for distortion. that would make a killer metal tone. \m/

christian noir and bjelkeman like this.
  4. Christian N

Christian N

Feb 12, 2013
    Can you clarify?

You mean...
    A) The AOU always on (last in the chain) and the B7k in the front as an extra boost/extra distortion?
    Or
    B)a b7kUv2 always on (last in chain) and an Alpha Omega (non ultra) as an extra boost/extra distortion?

You voted A in the poll, but I though you said B in your reply.

Thanks.

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Oh I thought this was something like using the b7k in the beginning of the chain as a preamp and then the alpha omega as distortion after words.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    christian noir likes this.
  6. Christian N

Christian N

Feb 12, 2013
    I got the B7k Ultra V2.
    I'd get both that and the AOU, but neither have parallel out. I guess I could use a Countryman DI or something to split the signal instead, but I don' currently have one.

So, the responses I got elsewhere were mixed.

Whatever the case is... now trade the B7k limited for a AO V1 or micron, try two B7k's, trade the B7kUv2 for an AOU, or what.
    Or I could be a gearslut and buy all of them, just to realize I prefer my AxeFX lol.

The strength of the AOU seems to be its EQ... but I also have an MXR 10 band EQ. I could put that between an AO and the B7kv2.

Anyhow, just talking to myself and brainstorming soliraire in public. :beaver:

7. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Depends on which of the features you are after. AO into the B7K is very good. AO for distortion and B7K for tone. I had a B7K, got an AO when they where released (should have waited for an AOm really). Then I wanted the cabsims (IR).

Tried to sell the B7K, no bite, so I went with a VMTU v2 instead, as the VMT works better with some basses. For an optimally small board, a B3K and a AOm would work, but I tell myself I would miss the clean out for parallel recording, but not really. I just got the Ultra plug for that the other week. But spending money just to shrink the board. Nah, not really.

Edit: An if I really needed that EQ I have an MXR ten band lying around too, need to try that. There is still space. ;)

View attachment 3028330

christian noir likes this.
  8. The strength of the A/o is NOT the eq imo. I mean it’s not bad. But other than bumping the lows a little I don’t use my eq on mine much. Mids and Highs are flat. To me where the A/o shines is its dirt is more amplike than the b7k and being able to blend the Alpha and omega dirts and the dry tone provides more of a 3d sound

FaithNoMan and christian noir like this.
  9. Christian N

Christian N

Feb 12, 2013
    I picked up an Omicron today and I'm experimenting, trying to get my bearings. 8 went with the Omicron because the SO non ultra might just add too much EQ, and I've read some people like the Omicron better as and extra OD in front... I'm kinda missing that parallel out though for recording.

Might take a while to get my bearings since I'm in the middle of also trying to rework my NG2 setup again to the elusive GCGCF tuning, messing with gauges and trying to balance out the tone. Trying to get that phat as hell low G to play nice, even with the low C, is a challenge. The attack and bass output are worlds apart.

I probably should have figured that out before adding on a new pedal since the string gauge/ setup compromising struggle might help kill my return window.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  10. Christian N

Christian N

Feb 12, 2013
    AO or AO Ultra? Just picked up an Omicron to run into the B7K. I kinda wish there was a parallel out though..

11. I have the regular A/O. I’d does have the parallel out.

12. This all the way. I like the EQ, but having been a huge fan of the B3K, then an even bigger fan of pairing it up with the VMT, I can say the A/O's overdriven sound and feel completely blew me away.
    It was a hard decision between keeping the VMT and buying the B7KU, or buying a new B3K(I fried my old one like a fool, ask Doug - he saw the pics!) and pairing it with the A/O.

My dilemma was - I didn't want to lose the clank of the B3K/B7K. I had sold my VMT at this point and had an even darker than the B3K pedal I liked - the Tech21 Oxford. I plunged for the original A/O and it had more than enough clank.
    It was actually more of an amp-like, grungy clank.

The B3K's overdrive sounded "clean" by comparison. If you can picture, where the B3K having sand-like grains of distortion, evenly spread out the A/O went from a B3K-like clean overdrive to having metal shards with fuzz around them and all depending on how I was picking.

Very touch-responsive.

JulienP. and Nephilymbass like this.
  13. Christian N

Christian N

Feb 12, 2013
    So.. keep in mind I've only been using headphones because my studio is dismantled right now, but I have something to report in using the Alpha Omega Omicron into the B7k ultra v2.

I can get some really nice sounds pairing the two. However, because the Omicron has no EQ, I can't adjust the EQ curve to play nice with the B7K and seamlessly switch between the two. I end up using the B7K to EQ the Omicron, and when I switch the Omicron off, the B7K is left too bright. If the Omicron had EQ, I could just EQ my B7K tones, and then EQ the Omicron to play nice with the B7K.

Maybe I just need to fiddle with them more.. I definetyle get some cool distortion out of the Omicron.. Just wondering if maybe I should upgrade to a bigger sibbling.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021