1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dave Funk AWOL???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chicken Dog, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Chicken Dog

Chicken Dog Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Wondering if anyone has had any recent contact with Dave Funk of Thunderfunk amps. I shipped my amp to him six weeks ago and prepaid to have it repaired. I called him about 10 days ago to get the status. He said the issue was merely a bad LED and he would ship the amp the following week, which was last week. I still don't have the amp. I emailed him last week to get a shipping tracking number. No response. Now, he won't answer his phone either. Did the guy die on us or is this just really poor customer service? Anyone out there know how to get ahold of him other than the posted email and phone number?

svtb15 likes this.
  2. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    FWIW I had one of his amps years ago. There was something up with it so I sent it in for service. After a few days I called him. He was very sarcastic when I asked him about the status of my amp. I finally got it back and later sold it. This was just my experience...I wish you luck!

svtb15 likes this.
  3. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I have a story or two too..
    Can i get sued for telling the truth??????

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    If you're in California, you can get sued for breathing...

SJan3, alaskaleftybass, Ewo and 12 others like this.
  5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

The little blurb under "Serviceability" seems to imply that he is less interested in fixing amps than building them (as any builder would be, but I read it as "Send your amp anywhere for service...except back to Thunderfunk") .

They also manage to take a swipe at digital amps in the process.
    Thunderfunk: TFB800-B2

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Man, why are so many bass gear geniuses also jerks?

@agedhorse can you answer this for me? :roflmao:

(T'was a joke...that last part. Joke. Shut up and laugh everybody. Joke.)

gkbass13, JimiLL, BassikLee and 10 others like this.
  7. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Toronto
    :eyebrow:......nice.

What the heck do you want, his wife's cell number ?

godley69 likes this.
  8. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    When the person in question won't respond to his advertised methods of communications, perhaps that's not a bad idea...

SJan3, Aqualung60 and FenderB like this.
  9. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I get the joke....

It's not that many, but the few bad apples are sure mucking it up for the rest of the good ones....:D:D

BadExample, two fingers and agedhorse like this.
  10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Hmmm... From the 'sound' of this thread, I'm glad that I didn't have any issues with the two ThunderFunks that I owned. :rollno:

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I’ll have you know that I am not a jerk!!! :(

:D

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    My lil sister visited from England one year and brought with her two tee shirts showing a Fender bass peg-head. The grey one said “Bass Hero” and the one I love is black and says “Bass Ace.” :)

I’ll be wearing the black one later today to a doctors appointment. :D

covermego likes this.
  13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I'm not either, but some folks struggle with the acceptance of accurate, honest information and then feel entitled to shoot the messenger ;)

14. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    So true. Unfortunately that is a trait that is all too prevalent among our species. Humans are often quick to find fault with other humans. (Rush lyrics from the Moving Pictures album: "quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand.")

But regarding Chicken Dog's original post, I think he has a legitimate concern. In the world of business, if ya don't take care of the customer, somebody else will.

15. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    If it were me (and it's not), I would do what I could to expedite a pre-paid repair. That's just good customer service. Word gets around in the internet age.

SJan3, SactoBass and agedhorse like this.
  16. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio

Geri O likes this.
  17. You mmmmmmmade me blow milk out all over mmmmmmmy keyboard. You owe mmmmmmme a new one. Now mmmmmmmmy mmmmmmm"m" sticks. You are lucky it's just mmmmmmmy cell phone. Or you would owe mmmmmmmme a new stick on screen protecta!

18. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    If it was only a bad LED he'd have swapped it out when he diagnosed it, especially if it's all point to point wired. The idea of pre-paying for repairs is weird. How does he know what parts and labor it needs before he sees it? And on your end, what incentive does he have to do the work and ship it out if he's already been paid? The suggestion that you can send your amp anywhere for service is a good one, but not just for the obvious reasons.

M0ses likes this.
  19. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Breathing is known to the State of California to cause.....

Ewo, BadExample and eldorado2001 like this.
  20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

And he specifically advertises on his website that his amps are designed in a way that they can "be easily serviced anywhere in the world". I wound up having to paraphrase because the website has now changed to a dead link since I posted it earlier this afternoon! It speaks volumes to me that his lead endorser is Jauqo 3 Times (no relation to Jaco).