Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dave Hall VT-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sweets, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Sweets

Sweets

Aug 2, 2005
    Anyone had any experience with these pedals at all?

2. i've never played one, but it looks like a nice tube overdrive/distortion!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wonderful post, I just found out about these as well. I've heard really good things and really bad things and would like to know.

I believe Toasted has some experience with them.,

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I played one in the music store and thought it had a nice growl to it.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I seriously doubt that! I think that you might be a bit confused. DHA VT-1's are made in small quantities by a guy in England. I'll reserve judgement on them until after Tayste_2000's post :D!

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I heard some sound samples and thought it sounded awful, not an overdrive at all

7. Sweets

Sweets

Aug 2, 2005
    Where'd you hear the sound samples?

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So yeah it's got a tube in it, yeah it's hand built, doe that stop it sounding like crap NO, not everything with a tube in is good, not everything with a tube in has a smooth gritty tube tone that we all love.

I have always been massively skeptical on these pedals, to the point that in the new few weeks I may buy one to either quash or prove my point, as he has a money back guarentee.

My main problem is if you look inside the pedal there isn't much and tecx has confirmed to me that it appears that there is no way near enough stuff in there for it to actually use the tube for the distortion. So this makes it you bog standard distortion with a light bulb taped to the side.

My other concerns were every tube pedal I've seen, akai, ehx and guyatone have all been quite big and had lots of vents on them, as we all know tubes get quite hot. The DHA is very small, has no vents, he claims that other companies just do the vents for show, to make it look cool when the tube glows.

Just a thought like I've said I've not tried one but I've heard the many sound smaples in that thread and none of them sound tube like and most of them sound like an average fuzz pedal.

Hope this helps

10. I agree 100% with all the skepticisim. I was very underwhelmed by those audio clips, too. Kinda bleah... Nothing special at all. But, it could just be bad recording... maybe... benefit-of-the-doubt, and all... And all that praise over at bassworld?!?! What's up with that?

The power supply apparently drives the tube at 24V, which is similar to a number of various well known commercial devices that actually have decent reputations. There are also a few DIY schematics floating around (with reports of excellent sound) that also use this kind of low voltage, starved-plate configuration as well as minimal parts counts.

I'm not trying to sway anyone's skepticism. Like I said, I'm skeptical, myself. It's just really hard to make any kind of definitive judgement based on internet hype and a few lame sound clips. I've tried a number of pedals that sounded fantastic on their own, but just got totally lost in the mix with the whole band.

You never really know until you try...

~ Charlie

11. brycebites

brycebites

Mar 7, 2005
    UK
    FWIW I recorded those clips so people could get a bit of an idea of how the pedal sounds being an unknown quantity. Yes they are not great clips because the output was a bit high for the sound card. Hey ho.

The pedal case does get warm after a few hours use but not too hot.
    Unfortunately Tayste there isn't a light bulb inside, just an ECC83/12ax7 valve. ;)

Granted I've not tried half as many OD/fuzz/gain pedals as you, but this is by far and away the best I've tried and it's staying on my board (and is never turned off). The only change I've made is by replacing the EH valve with a Mullard, which made it sound exactly how I wanted it to - warm and slightly overdriven.

My keyboardist has been searching for an OD pedal to give his hammond/leslie THAT hammond sound (think Deep Purple). After briefly trying mine he bought his own and I believe it doesn't get turned off much.

Just my 2p.

12. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I know they are. It was a used pedal, and it was a while ago. The guy who sold it to the shop sells them a lot of boutique pedals.

13. DrGonzo

DrGonzo

May 24, 2005
    Yeah, I agree TaySte. The clips sound like the pedal is a. not doing too much tone-wise, just a bit fatter in the low end and b. a bit crap on the distortion side.

I guess the best thing to do would be to only get one if you felt it necessary to have a valve pre-amp, and not to expect too much from the distortion side of things.

I've heard better pre-amps though, and better distortions. And thats from listening to crappy samples recorded badly on the internet.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Yeah you people should check that bassworld thread again, it still amazes me how people will happily tell you its the best thing in the world but not back it up, even Dave Hall who posted in the thread, yeah sure he stands by his pedals but not enought to provide sound clips :meh:

But whatever I'm happy for people to make mistakes (as many as they want) but we all let each other know about ebay scams and crappy built basses even if it's just a story, so why not these, to me these are the Wish Bass of the pedal world (and hey some people like wishbass)

15. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    I am small manufacturer that does this for fun, it's not my real job. I am not sure why you are so against me and why you attack my pedals on this and other sites without ever even seeing one. If you don't like the sound of them then please don't buy one, I will get over it!

regards

Dave

Camarillo and old-fashioned like this.
  16. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    (...awkward!)

17. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I smell a rivalry...

18. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    GREAT to see you here Dave!

cheers,
    ~S~

19. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Wow. I'm really intrigued now. Anywhere to try one of these in the US? Or are they only available in the UK?

20. DHA

DHA Dave Hall Amps

Oct 20, 2005
    Hi,

I have sold only 8 ValveTone pedals into the US so far, 5 of these are bass models, 3 x VT1-HP-Bass, 1 x VT1-Purist-Bass and one VT Dual Bass which I posted this week.

It would be wrong of me give out the email address of these users but some may be TB members. You could look back at my ebay feedback which has all been good from these guys.

regards

Dave