1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dave Holland playing Electric Bass 2008

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by bassnutj, Sep 8, 2008.

1. bassnutj

bassnutj

Dec 26, 2007

2. bassnutj

bassnutj

Dec 26, 2007
    No comments?

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I saw this thread and watched the clip. Very interesting. He was fluffing notes all over the place but I have a feeling he doesn't shed on electric nearly as much as upright.

Either way, he seemed to be having a ton of fun and Herbie was killing.

4. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    It reminds me very much of highschool, of the jam session just before music class. They're great players having some fun at a gig, and you can't blame them for that. But would I ever want to listen to this more than once - definitely not.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    To be fair, I think there is plenty of substance to what Dave is playing, quite a bit more than what high schoolers would play :)

6. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I saw him with Herbie hancock this summer, and he played bass and upright, I wasns't impressed by his bass playing( don't get me wrong, he supports wonderfully just that I 've heard others gigs of herbie with others bass players that were more impressive) but the groove was here and that's all that counts

but when he took the upright that was something else, to me he's an upright player playing bass, but his instrument is really upright

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I'd agree. In fact, his approach to electric is that of an upright player. Even his right hand technique.

If you watch the other Youtube video with this band, he does sound very good playing Actual Proof which is a difficult groove to cop -- again, comparing him to Paul Jackson is simply unfair. PJ with Mike Clark and the Headhunters was the funkiest, tastiest stuff I've ever come across.

I DO dig Dave's Deluxe P bass. Nice axe, interesting and fuzzy tone, lotsa top end. Groovy.

8. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    When I saw Herbie this summer Dave Holland used the upright for Actual Proof, I liked it better than the Actual Proof video where he's on electric.

9. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    I love Dave's upright playing and his electric work with Miles, but I am being very fair in what I said. And your opinion doesn't conflict with mine.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Cool, then we agree to... Agree!

And wow, Actual Proof on upright? JEEZ! Would love to see that.

11. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Dave Holland doesn't have amazing electric technique, but what he plays in that clip is so musical that it doesn't matter... also, his harmonic knowledge is phenomenal.

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well said Whisper!

13. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't like his tone to be honest. Love the man's upright playing but that just goes to show the enormous difference between the two instruments and how few can truly call themself a doubler.

14. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    No, I still think the merits of that clip are very slight. But I'm saying that our respective opinions can share this public space without having to be in agreement. I've witnessed and participated in plenty of jam sessions that shared this segment's qualities, but that was a long time ago - in high school!
    The performance is not really meant to be taken that seriously, I understand that, but it doesn't chance my opinion of the music.

15. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I'M IMPRESSED!!!!!!!! Great tone, too!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Cool, we definitely agree to disagree, but that's cool! :)

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm about half way through the clip and I'm still having a hard time comprehending Dave Holland playing electric. I like his tone and I love what he has to say. I'm just sitting here thinking "I'd love to hear this on DB".

He looks like he's having a blast, but I can only imagine what he'd be doing on upright instead.

Edit: started to watch the Actual Proof video. Wow.

18. Bassdesires

Bassdesires

Apr 5, 2007
    Tokyo
    not trying to de-rail thread.

here is another take - Dave on electric bass.

Actual Proof....

19. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    I'm just glad to see a bassist just play a bass . No gimmics no slapping and triple thumbing just straight playing.

Andy

20. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    And another Actual Proof with Dave