Dave Holland with Herbie Hancock Trio...

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by xolin, Apr 17, 2004.

1. I just got back from the Herbie hancock concert here at Massey Hall (Toronto). Dave Holland and Dehjonnette were with him. It was amazing! Holland laid down some great improv on bop version of Stevie Wonder's "You got it bad, girl!" and on Maiden Voyage. I've seen a vid of him performing before, but this was much, much better. Dehjonnette was great as usual and Herbie...well...need I say more ;)

Great trio, Amazing Performance...Oscar won't outdue this, IMO.

Now, back to BG...:D
  2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

I don't like you anymore ;)
  3. Dont feel bad...umm...at least the Rite Of Strings aint coming to Toronto...only to the MOntreal Jazz Fest :crying: ...and expensive+no great seats remaining...whine whine...anyway, i still get oscar peterson and oliver jones trios in the same night...but al di meola and stanley clarke...i mean...COME ON!
  4. I saw that trio in Milwaukee last week. Absolutely jaw-dropping stuff. Holland looked like he was having the time of his life.

Other than my irritation at the soundman's determined efforts to make Dave's bass sound like a Fender Precision, it was easily one of the best concerts I've seen.
  5. Yeah, I giggled when he started jumping around during his solos :D
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001

Who?... Dave, or the soundman?
  7. Dave
  8. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Now that's what I'm talkin' bout! To get those three heavy weights on the same stage, there must have been some big pay out! Do you know if they recorded it for a CD project?
  9. You know they didnt say anything about it in the program. It was an amazing night (although Massey hall still retains its awful small seats from back in the day) and I cant wait until Peterson's and Oliver jones' trios come in!
  10. I ran into a guy who supplies backline equipment for the shows at the Pabst (the theater where I saw the show in Milwaukee), and he was there for the rehearsal. The Milwaukee show was their first stop, I think, and he said it was pretty apparent it was their first rehearsal, period. They decided on some tunes, ran a couple of heads, and that was it.

They did about a half-dozen tunes including crowd-pleasers like Cantaloupe Island and Maiden Voyage (hey, they pleased me.) They dissected, deconstructed and disseminated Cole Porter's "I Love You," did another Herbie chestnut, "Sonrisa" and one of Dave's tunes (can't recall the title). That plus the aforementioned Stevie tune.

Herbie talked and reminisced quite a bit, including an anecdote about how he'd hired Jack DeJohnette -- as a BASS player -- for an early gig in Chicago.

The concert did have the air of a blowing session (air of a blowin session?) about it, but you gotta admit, few could do it at these guys' level. I'm sure they got compensated very handsomely, as well they should.
  11. Yeah, exact same set list. Only four shows on this "tour" apparently. I still loved it, I dont care :D
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The same trio recorded live in Montreal last year will be broadcast on the radio show Jazz Set soon.

week of May 6
    Jack DeJohnette and Friends
    Every year, the Montreal International Jazz Festival presents a series featuring l'invité -- an invited guest and his friends. In 2003, l'invité was drummer Jack DeJohnette, with pianist Herbie Hancock and bassist Dave Hancock, "la crème de la crème" of Miles Davis sidemen.
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Jack is also a great pianist. Sick, huh? :rolleyes:
  14. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    DeJohnette is a pretty amazing multi-talent. Piano, Drums and Matt Garrison said that Jack plays a mean acoustic bass.......

15. Yeah, I heard that. Crazy stuff...I want to hear that album he did with another drummer using those vibrating things...those were cool. :bassist:
  16. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Jack did release a record as a pianist a few years back. Can't recall the title...... check allmusic
  17. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    In the 70's, Jack released a bunch of vinyl in Europe as a pianist. I didn't know he played URB though, and he plays a fair amount of drums, (my fav.)
  18. I prob shoulda posted another thread, but meh. This year I planned to see DIrections in Music with Roy Hargrove, Herbie Hancock and Michael Brecker..

BEAT THAT!!!

How bout that Jaco tribute with that electric horn distortion thingy...woah.

And yeah...what the heck more can I say :eek:
  19. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Damn, I wish that I could see a Herbie Hancock show. A drummer who graduated from my high school a few years ago named Richie Barshay tours with Herbie (actually he is on tour with him now through May 31, but I guess it's in Europe). Why doesn't anything good ever come to Connecticut? (you don't have to answer that question lol)
  20. His fill-in drummer was female.