Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dave holland's electric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soholounge, Nov 9, 2005.

1. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    Dave Holland's fender (i think it's a fender) has an unusual headstock shape.
    Was this standard on some of the 80's or early 90's models?

btw, i love his electric playing.
    (with miles, and here with Jack DeJohnette's group with Pat Metheny and Herbie Hancock)

Attached Files:

2. I agree--it looks like a Tokai, which was a high-quality and well-regarded Asian (Japanese?) Fender clone from the 80's and 90's.

Mike

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That is indeed a Tokai J-style in the photo. With Miles, he used a Fender P.

As far as I know that tour with Hancock/Metheny/DeJohnette was the last time he played electric bass. There is a video from that tour (on LD, VHS and now DVD) and Dave can be seen doing some slapping!!!

4. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I love Dave's upright playing, what albums feature his best electric work?

5. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Dave's Big Band stuff is just brilliant. One of my favorites of the "modern" jazz movement. The fact that he is an amazing player only reconfirms my belief that as bass players, WE RULE!

Now, if only I could play upright...

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Examples of Dave on electric are RARE. I would recommend Miles' 'It's About That Time: Live at the Filmore East, March 7, 1970'.

Trying picking up the DVD 'Miles Electric: A Different Kind of Blue', which includes the full Isle of Wight festival performance.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i love that DVD!

course, i bought it for DeJohnette's drummin'... :eek:

course, at least, there's no annoying keith jarrett whining... :smug: :D

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Here's a part of an 2000 interview :

Q.You occasionally step into the world of electric bass. Describe your relationship with the instrument.

DH
    I like playing electric bass. It’s not that I don’t enjoy it. I have a lot of fun playing it, but there are so many great players on the electric bass that have spent a life developing the instrument uniquely like Marcus Miller and Jaco. I prefer to let them have that and I’ll stick with what I do. It’s also to do with the nature of the acoustic bass and character of it. It’s very much a part of the music I’m hearing. The electric bass is still part of my vocabulary, but I don't feel as much of a distinctive voice on the bass guitar compared to my much more personal connection to the acoustic bass. I feel that’s my strongest position to take musically, so why not take that?

http://www.innerviews.org/inner/holland2.html

9. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    the parallel realities group DVD that was mentioned above has Dave playing electric on about 3 songs (my favorite is 9 over reggae which grooves like heck over 9/8).
    that's where i got that screenshot picture. :p

he played electric on a couple of tracks on a steve coleman or m-base album. can't remember which one... this is gonna keep me up tonight, damn.

also, i think he was on electric on 1 or 2 songs on either Big Fun or Bitches Brew with Miles.
    great stuff.

i like Dave on electric cuz he doesn't try to sound like an electric bass guitar virtuoso. just plays real solid.

10. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

On the other hand, he is clearly a DB virtuoso...!! ;)

I saw him play a piece written for him, by the contemporary classical composer Marc Anthony Turnage - "Bass Inventions"

This was for solo Jazz Double Bass and two ensembles - so there was a small Chamber Orchestra and a Jazz ensemble - circa Miles electric period - electric pianos, drums etc.

Dave Holland stood in the middle and had an extensive, complex, written part, as well as sections where he improvised solos in a Jazz fusion style - it was certainly virtuoso stuff!! :)

12. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    exactly!
    that's why i found his electric playing refreshing in a way.
    cuz i have most of his ecm stuff and he makes my head hurt sometimes. haha.
    (not that he couldn't do that on electric if he wanted to... i'm sure)