Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

David Gilmour's "On an Island"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Mar 17, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I just got this CD the other day, and I must say I'm quite impressed! I haven't heard his other solo stuff, but I really enjoy this. Very Floydish, but at the same time different, more mellow. Does anyone else have it? What are your thoughts?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've seen the commercials for it, and it does sound Floydish. I'm going to get it.

3. I have heard the song On An Island, it's good I keep singing it to my self, so I will probably buy the disk. I have a solo disk simply titled David Gilmour I found it in a bargin bin. It's from 1978. It to is Floyd sounding but slightly different. There's No Way Out Of Here is a really good song from that disk. CHOM 97.7 FM out of Montreal would play it once in a while.

4. thunderthief_29

thunderthief_29

Nov 20, 2004
    Lancs, Uk
    I bought the album the day of release after hearing 'On an Island' on the radio. I think its a fantastic, sort of floydian sound and very atmospheric. Its the only one of his solo albums that I've liked.
    In the Uk last week radio 2 played a live set recorded for them, it included some off the new album along with a couple of oldies. Rick Wright played keyboards and sang Comfortably numb, bit of a dodgy voice, but who cares.
    Then BBC digital where also playing on TV 3 of the songs. I just wish it was longer. Guy Pratt was on bass playing what looked like a 50's style P Bass, twin Pups and a Graphite neck, could have been Modulus.

Mike

5. I haven't heard any of his solo stuff, but all your reviews seem to say the same thing to me: BUY IT!!
    I'll check it out.

6. britrit

britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    London
    I've got it, and I like it alot. Very mellow. I'm seeing him in May!