1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DB or EUB for metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gaunten, Sep 11, 2008.

1. gaunten

gaunten

May 27, 2008
    sweden skåne
    so, I've been wanting to try out a DB for quite some time, but since I'm a lefty I haven't got the chance yet, I play guitar usually, and I've been having thoughts of using a double bass for metal. it would be very cool if it worked out, (the coolest would be a double bass, but I suppose an EUB would be the best choice when it comes to amplification and recording)
    since I have an 8 string guitar tuned to an octave below a guitar, it would be best to have a 5 string bass tuned to drop A, so I can mirror the low E riffs on the guitar, and lay an even lower bass on the low A string riffs. I'm playing meshuggah like music, and I just wonder if this is doable, and if you know any 5 string EUB:s or DB:s at a decent price.

2. Matt the phyrex

Matt the phyrex

Sep 11, 2008
    Notts, UK
    Apocalyptica do it with Cello's so why no

3. gaunten

gaunten

May 27, 2008
    sweden skåne
    yea, but there's a difference, they only have cellos, and the occasional drums (ok, pretty much drums on every song nowadays) I'm going to attempt to mix it with distorted guitars, screaming/singing, and perhaps even distort it.
    well, if I ever manage to talk my bassist into buying one, we'll probably give it a shot

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    My Azola 5 string EUB had gigantic tone at any volume. I never played any metal on it, but I think it would have worked great. I played big sports stadiums with it, no probs.

My little strap-on ;), the NS Bass Cello, would handle a metal band easily. It has piezos in the bridge, and a whole array of EMG active mag pickups. And you can bow it.

5. gaunten

gaunten

May 27, 2008
    sweden skåne
    cool. Ima have to drag my bassist pal (who is righthanded) to some store and have him tryout some DB's and EUB's

6. dfuruta

dfuruta

Mar 7, 2008
    iowa
    Talkbass user "pklima" has recorded some amazing metal with db under the name Dead Raven Choir. If you want some idea of what db can sound like when distorted to the extreme, you might listen to his work...

7. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I used a WAV 4 on some heavy stuff. Not really death metal though.

It depends on the instrument and how you have it set up/what rig you're going to use but I definitely wouldn't do it on an actual DB. I have a feeling it would be rather difficult to get it to sound good. The thump and...well for lack of a better vocabulary muddy sound that makes them great for jazz would work against you for metal.

Also, if you haven't played a DB before its freaking hard compared to a bass guitar from a dexterity standpoint. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to say you can't do it. I think it would be pretty cool personally, but fast metal would be a real taxing endeavor, especially for a beginner.

As far as cheap EUBs, the only five string I can think of is an Ergo stick-type. Other than that you're loking at around $2000.

8. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I say go for it. I've heard some very bright, amplified-and-possibly-effected arco sounds that would sit well with a heavy band. I mean really, who hears the bass in some black or death metal anyway? :) You might actually have *more* of a chance of being heard.

Either way I'd say your success with it is dependant on how willing the rest of the band is to experiment and work with the new sound.

You've got your work cut out for you.

9. Arco! You're going to destroy your hands pizz.

I think there's only one kind of DB that would fit: carbon fiber. Otherwise use an EUB.

Worth the experiment though.

10. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  11. brivello

brivello

Jun 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Definitely Go EUB. Getting a good amplified sound for even a small combo situation takes a great amount of time/money for UB. Also, the UB wouldn't play very nice at high volumes, lots of feedback ect. Plus EUB would be a much easier transition from bass guitar.

12. You could try a magnetic pickup to avoid feedback problems. Of course, the tone isn't what you'd get with piezos. You can use both and mix them, though.

13. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    NS Wav 4.

14. i believe justin medellson (sp?) is playing bass with Nine Inch Nails now. He uses an uprigt bass with the band. I'm not sure when/how, but might be woth investigating.

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I know they are cellists, but since it has been brought up already I'm going to elaborate on the Apocalyptica strain-
    I have every album (including the Euro releases with live tracks, etc), and can say with great certainty that they have implemented distortion and overdrive effects numerous times throughout their recording career. Additionally they have recorded and played live with distorted guitars, pounding drums, and gutsy singers at venues accommodating anywhere from 500 to 5,000 people. One of their smaller repeat venues is the Gothic here in Denver.

Bass does present some slightly more challenging sonic issues than cello due to the size and potential for feedback, but it is doable. I have run an Engle ply and Upton hybrid though a myriad of distortion effects with some very cool results using a a revolution solo transducer pickup mounted to the bridge wing.

The greatest challenge genuinely user skill followed distantly by proper setup. To play fast metal passages accurately in an arco style (to get a proper metal sound and speed), years of cpnsistent practice will be necessary. Transition from BG to UB is no simple thing. I found out first hand.

At any rate, I hope this helps.. coming from a DB lover, metalhead, classical purist, and blues junkie. :D

16. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Bass for metal? Neither.

I'd go with a coffin bass. :D

17. spcmstrbtasp

spcmstrbtasp

Oct 19, 2006
    Athens, GA
    There's a heavy band from the Philly area ( I think ) called Stinking Lizaveta whose bassist plays an EUB. I think it may be an older Warwick or Framus, but I'm not sure what kind. He gets a massive sound and puts on an athletic performance as well- quite something to behold.

18. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

yeah, I don't think playing pizz would work with metal.

an arco double bass though... come to think of it, that might actually sound pretty cool!

19. bbqfrolic

bbqfrolic

Oct 12, 2008
    I play in a metal band called Devils Walk (www.myspace.com/devilswalk) or you can ck out the video at () just gotta find the right cats that are open minded enough to let an upright into that genre. There's a cool band in the SF bayarea called Judgment Day, violin, cello, and drums. ~Shak