DB repair near Sacramento

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassteban, Feb 6, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a good repair/setup person in or near Sacramento. I'm in Vacaville & could go Bay Area as well, just prefer easier driving. Suggestions? Thanks.
  2. Call Jeff Sahs of Jaff Sahs Voilins. Your in luck. Not only is he a luthier but also a bassist. His string shop in in the Land Park area. Almost all the bassist I have talked to is the Sac area go to him. He a really nice guy and fairly priced.

I don't have his phone # handy but he's in the phone book.

Good luck
  3. Thank you
    (I am also) Steve
  4. I just had him put in adjusters for me. I never played a bass with action so low. Just amazing.

I've seen lots of warnings on this site. You don't want a violin guy working on you bass anymore than you want to get a vasectomy from an allergist.

5. -my previous guy is a bassist & luthier, but I've just rcently fixed a couple of 'fixes' of his. I'm just a bit pickier than him, & would like to get my bass set up as nice as possible. That way, poor intonation, string noise & bad tone are purely MY contribution, not the bass's. Thanks again.
  6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    We have Steve Swan on our forum who is in Sacto. www.steveswanguitars.com. I've no experience with him unfortunately (sorry Steve!).

In the Bay Area closest to you:

Alex Friedman, SF - www.acousticbassshop.com
    Michael Olivola, Oakland - www.basshouse.com
    Sexauer Luthier, Petaluma - www.sexauerluthier.com

I've only experience with the first two and they're both very qualified. I bought my bass from Alex and he's the regular guy I go to. My teacher has been going to him too. Good luck.
  7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'll vouch for Jeff Sahs. I've had him do a couple repairs to my bass, he really knows what he's doing. Reasonable price, quick turnaround, and he tells you what he'll do, how he'll do it, and why.

Jeff works on the whole violin family, but he's a bass guy. He plays DB (owns 3 or 4) and he's the guy top local bassists (like Kerry Kashiwagi) recommend. He seems a little surprised by the amount of bass repair work he gets, but I think it's because you'd have to go to the Bay Area to find someone with comparable skills. I've only talked to Steve Swan once. He says he doesn't really work on basses and goes to Jeff Sahs for repairs/setups.

Keith Cary lives in Winters. He builds/repairs instruments and used to play in Robert Crumb's Cheap Suit Serenaders. He's made some pretty crazy stuff--bass banjos, the Commodium (a mandolin with a metal bedpan for a body). Dunno how good his work is.
  8. SLivinghouse, Winston- you've steered me right(re:Jeff Sahs). Excellent work, very knowledgable, decent rates. I THOUGHT my bass had an E & A string before Jeff worked on my poor old 3/4 Hammig. Apparently they are not just for looks! Planed f/board, fixed adjustable bridge(now that works, too) & narrowed the spacing, glued down a separating top, as well as the neck, adjusted soundpost & last but not nearly least, installed an aluminum endpin. I'd never heard of these, & when I kvetched about the wobbly-wonder steel rod P.O.S. original, he suggested it, describing it as 'hot rod'. I totally agree. And w/all the other upgrade/fixes, is a different bass. This man is good.
  9. Good to hear it worked out. He did an excellent job with my bass as well.

10. Gorbmx

Mar 12, 2005
    Hi have a problem with my pedel. one of the resistors on the board burnd out and i can't se the value of if somebody kan tell me the value or just the colour code of L14 (it is neer the power input) will be a life saver!!!
  11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Hi Gorbmx--

Methinks you will get a much better response to your question if you post it to the appropriate forum--Effects on the Bass Guitar side of TalkBass.
  12. cattaca

May 24, 2005
    Eugene, OR
    I know it's far to go, but I just had an exceptional re-set-up of my bass. (It came set-up, but still had some issues.) It is now twice the bass that it was. It is simply amazing the change that came about from a few seemingly simple adjustments. I had no idea that that type of sound could come from my bass. Plus, he's great to chat with and has a good selection of quality basses in his shop (keeps his selection updated online). He also makes guitars (and makes a good living off of that) but he's been playing and working on basses since the early nineties. I was refered to him by my Orchestra section, both of them had him work on their basses (one a Kay, one a carved with laminate ribs) and they both sounded phenomenal.

He's Bruce Sexaur:
    (707) 782-1044