dbx DriveRack: your opinion?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by themacinator, Apr 28, 2012.

1. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,385 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    We're revamping our PA rig and I am seeing some interesting comments about this piece of gear.

Do any of you use one in your rig? If so do you only have one for the FOH? Or do you have one for FOH and one for the monitor mix?

We are leaning towards one for the FOH only and a straight 31 band EQ for our monitor mix.

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    For the average bar/events band it would be overkill.

3. Tomis17

Tomis17 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Wisconsin
    A Driverack unit is a great tool if used properly. You got a lot of things in a single rack space. Saves a lot space and weight.

4. monkeyking

monkeyking

Feb 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Got one when I bought new speakers. EV powered tops and subs.

So far, I've found it to be great. I'm not much of an sound engineer but my keyboard player is. We both like it a lot. Using the pink noise and the mic lets the driverack set the basic EQ and compression, then we just ring out the system for the feedback filters, and make minor EQ tweaks from the board.

We're using it for FOH and using a 31 band EQ for the monitors. Another for the monitors might be overkill, but it would be nice to have the auto feedback suppression.

In my opinion, it doesn't do anything that an experienced sound guy with good ears and knowledge can't do. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those and it makes things easy and quick when mixing from the stage. So, for me, it's well worth the money.

5. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,385 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Thanks monkeyking. None of the five of us are sound guys, we know just enough to be dangerous. So that's why we are considering it. Plus we want to be self-contained and more compact with our gear. One 10U road case for everything with the board on top.

I think this will do it for us. Sound like your set up is precisely what we are going for.

6. Refurb on eBay are a great deal - I have huge gear ... ---- I dont pink out the room and have no feedback issues

7. I have one and I use it for FOH at big and small shows. I like it a lot, particularly the auto EQ.

I would get another one for monitors if I could justify the expense for two monitor channels.

The software that comes with the Presonus StudioLive will soon have similar capabilities.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021