1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DC35's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by quale213, Sep 17, 2008.

1. quale213

quale213

Sep 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Hey all, I am thinking of upgrading my EMG HZ's to EMG DC35's. I am just curious if anyone has input on this. Thanks!!!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Non-Hz EMGs are active so you'll need to replace all of the electronics in your bass (jack, pots, pickups, etc.). Those typically come with the pickup (IIRC).

The DC35s are for 4 string basses...

I'm not sure what Hz sound like from a clarity perspective, but active EMGs are very precise.

3. quale213

quale213

Sep 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    The pickups, Hz's, I have right now are active. I was just curious about how "hot" they are compared to the DC35's i am looking at. I believe it is worth the money to upgrade the pickups rather than purchase a new bass.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    No, the HZ's are passive. HZ stands for High Z (Impedance). Maybe your bass is active, but the pickups are not.

I find the DC's to be harsh sounding. A lot of mid presence and a brittle high end. Good if your bass is dark sounding. The 35CS pickups are warmer sounding. You can also do 35P and 35J, which was my favorite EMG setup. They aren't as loud though, but your amp has a volume knob. :)

5. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I tend to agree with SGD's characterization of the sound of the DCs. There are several other choices in that size which sound better, IMO... including Bartolini CB, Q-Tuner, and probably a few more....

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I listened to the sound samples on SGD's website and I liked what I heard!!! Now which bass can I put soapbars in....

http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/

7. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Hi, I'm looking to swap out the 35HZ's too - in my Czech Dean Edge Select... Can anyone weigh in on the Duncan Basslines SSB-4's? They're passive soapbars in the EMG35 shape and can be had as a pair for the cost of one active EMG. I play really rootsy music (traditional blues, R&B and old skool new orleans funk) so take that into account... I am using a coppolo onboard preamp already and the HZ's just sound choked and plain flat compared to my other basses (G&L SB-2, SX P with "original" Fender pup)

Thanks

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products

Hey thanks! I'm working on other styles too, like P, J, and MM.