Dead spot G

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by simongpaez, Feb 18, 2006.

1. 2 basses I have seem to have a dead spot on the E string ,G Fret, the rest is fine but the G seems to sound and feel kind of dead, any recommendations??
  2. What brand and gauge strings? Are the strings new? E strings seem to sometimes die faster than other strings, making notes seem dull compared to the others.
    Sometimes not having enough neck relief can cause that string to sound dead. Sometimes having too much break angle across the bridge saddle has this effect also.

How close is the pickup to that string? Too close and it sometimes kills the sustain. Too far and it's thick and dead sounding.

I had problems with some really dead sounding E strings. But after trying a set of DR hi-beams, I vowed to never go back to cheap strings again.

Of course it could actually be a deadspot, but they seem more common on the D and G strings, usually near a C or B note. But that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Just a couple of ideas..

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Add some weight to your headstock. That may help. I taped a sparkplug socket onto the back of my head stock and my deadspot of the E string A note disappeared. I eventually just put heavier tuners on. The sparkplug socket was a bit... unconventional. you could also use a roll of pennies or 4 AA batteries. Of course, you could buy the Fat Finger, made for this purpose, but I found it pretty expensive for what it does.