Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dealing with Levy Leathers - rant time

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jerry J, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've wanting to get a few straps that Levy makes. So I've checked with a few local retailers. They just roll their eyes and say that Levy is a pain to deal with. They apparently have to make some massive order so they can't get just one or two items in any timely manner unless they are planning an order. And of course because the stuff comes from Canada it seems to take forever for anything to come in.

I guess this is just a rant... :mad: Has anyone else found this to be true?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Sounds to me like your problem isn't Levy's but lazy local retailers.

And, I doubt that the fact that they are in Canada has anything to do with it taking "forever" to get the stuff--perhaps they are busy making straps and gigbags?

3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Screw local Retailers.

Find what you want on-line.

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Dennis Levy is a super nice guy. That deal you mentioned has nothing to do with him or the company. Everything coming into
    and going out of Canada has to clear customs and have the proper paperwork like a certificate of Origin and a Commercial Invoice.This holds up the shipments. As far as the store having to buy a certain amount,there are different cost levels
    for different quantities,and minimum order levels the dealers have to deal with.Check with Steve over at the Dude Pit
    he is getting set up with Levy's right now. :)

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm not sure if it is lazy retailers or what but I've heard the same thing from more than a few places. I would think since Levy is the largest strap and gig bag manufacturer that they would warehouse large quantities of their stuff in the US rather than ship orders from the Nova Scotia plant so that they can respond to orders more quickly.

I think that Levy makes the best "bang-for-the-buck" gig bags and bass straps. My leather gig bag and my F Bass gig bag are among my favorites. And most all of my basses have the M4GF strap on them.

As far as the retailers are concerned and as we all know the majority of stuff that they have is gear to the skinny 6 string folks. So most of their orders are those spindley little straps and short gig bags. As far as online I haven't had much luck. I've emailed several of the big bass shops and not had any luck. I guess they look upon accessories as small peanuts when they budget for their inventory.

I just needed to vent :meh: ....but I might have just found an online source.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated....and save money.