1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dean Dinning (Toad the Wet Sprocket)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by agreatheight, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Dean Dinning of Toad the Wet Sprocket has always been one of my favorite bassists - I love his lines and his feel, and he is a great harmony singer to boot. With that said I generally dislike his tone, especially on the Dulcinea album. Does anyone know what brand of basses Dean used? I can't recall...

Thanks in advance!

PS - Toad will hook up for a few dates this summer when GLen Phillips tours on his solo record. Toad shows are far and few between, with the band being more or less kaput, so get out to see 'em if you dig 'em!

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Warwicks (I'm pretty sure) with SWR amps. I've always liked Dean's sound.

3. Thanks much, I think you may be right!

4. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    I remember seeing them do "Fall Down" on Letterman. Warwick Thumb & SWR rig w/Triad cab on bottom; don't know what the rest of it was though.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Dean is a great player! I worked with a guy that was friends with the band... I started listening to them back when Pale came out.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    A hip, hip band that gets me through long hours of work at a library (iPod). Dean's basslines are great most of the the time. On the Welcome Home: Live insert, you can see him playing a P-Bass ('57 Reissue?) and what looks to be an SWR Triad and an SWR head (not sure which).

One thing I liked about Toad was the focus on great guitar tones with small amps. The problem is, bass gear at this time (early 90s) was in the awkward middle stage between only having good giant rigs and the emergence of really great sounding, smaller rigs.

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    SM-400S and a Goliath II, which is a great rig as long as you have a finesse drummer, and the guitar players have matchless 1x12s. I could never keep up with my bands using that rig, but it sounded great at lower volumes.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Don't know what equipment he used, but I dug the band and his very supportive playing!