Dean Hammer 10-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5fretless, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Folks,

The more I look at this, the more tasty it seems - does anyone out there have one ? Would like to hear experiences if any .......

I just wonder if that low B works well in a dual course bass/octave set up - especially as I prefer to tune the B down to an A - perhaps an EADGC tuning would be better ? - with this tuning it would be good for all those Nickel Creek licks you've wanted to annoy band members with.

If you are a finger-style player you might want to think about getting a new nut cut so you can swap the bass/octave strings around.

The way the dollar is against the pound at the moment it does seem very attractive though.........

2. Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    I tried one out in Frankfurt last month. Sounds great and actually isn't that difficult to play finger style. However, when I asked about strings, no one was sure if they can even get a 10 string set. :confused: Not a big selling point for me.
  3. I really do fancy one of these myself. I have an 8 string Dean Rhapsody bass and love it. Great sound and very nice to play. If the 10 is anything like the 8, you won't be disappointed.

I would NOT advise that you tuned the strings up a few tones so that the low B starts with a normal E, as the neck will very likely just explode on you!

SIT will do a set of strings that works for it.
    You may have to get a 12er set (very quick and cheap over the net and bloody impossible to find in the UK!!) and buy a low B, but at least you will have a couple of spare drones.

Dean should be able to let you have details of the string gauges as supplied when new.

i think I've seen this mentioned at the excellent too
  4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Does look good, quite tempted myself! :)

Although the £-$ rate is very good right now, you'll still end up paying about £100 in import tax and VAT, as well as a fairly hefty shipping bill. I know The Bass Centre are Dean dealers - might be worth asking them if they can get them, and for what price.

Russ :bassist:
  5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    has anyone seen john paul johns[led zep] 10 string manson?
    looks tasty.... and it would want to at there prices!!!
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Neato. One of the nicer-looking octave string basses I've seen so far. I know a guy who's trying to build a 12 string himself. If I were him, I'd forget about it and get a Dean or one of the Korean Hamers.
  7. I found this review on

...nicely answers my query about the B-string and octave.

As regards the higher tuning - I don't mean with the existing strings - now that would be a good test of the neck (!) - I would use an 8-string set - going EADG and somehow finding a set of strings for the "high-C".

John Paul Jones also has a Manson 12-string bass that is dual course (as opposed to the more normal triple course - and is tuned BEADGC as per a six string bass - I do like his last "Thunderchief" album - some nice riffing going on there !

8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    *cough* You mean Thunderthief, right? :) I pretty vastly prefer Zooma - but to each his own. Yeah, when he gets down into the low end of that 12, it sounds awesome.

I'd like to have a 12 like that.
  9. Cough splutter - Thunderwhatsit - my mishtake.....

Zooma - I have to admit I haven't heard it yet - I do know a friend who has it though - I'll have to "borrow" it from him....

Cheers !

10. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    there is a shop just around the corner from denmark street that had one. not sure about the name of the shop, but if you turn left out of denmark street at the foyles end, and its a little way past turn key(soho sound house) their bass section is downstairs. hope some one finds the bass they are looking for.
  11. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm ordering one this moring. I have some barts I'm going to put in it as well as a bart pre. After reading that review I'll have to change some things to the bridge if it's the same as the review bass. But that's no problem. I've been trying to get ABM to make me a 10string bridge for over two years with no results. Here is a picture of one.