1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decent amp head low price range?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrslap50505bass, Jul 31, 2012.

1. mrslap50505bass

mrslap50505bass

Jul 31, 2012
    Hello, I recently bought a markbass traveler 151p cab thinking it was a combo and now I'm alone with a cabinet without a head, basicly what I need is tips on cheap amp heads that still works fine, I need it as simple as possible, it must work with speakon cable.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ampeg Portaflex series are very serviceable amps at a reasonable price. I have fiddled around with them at GC but never really looked seriously at them because I'm happy with my current amp but I believe the 500 has speakon output, I don't recall seeing one on the 350 but you can get a cable with 1/4" on one end and speakon on the other for about the same price as a regular speakon cable.

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
  4. mrslap50505bass

mrslap50505bass

Jul 31, 2012
    The Harley Benton BA250H's price range is the range im looking for not too far above 150 euro would be extremly satisifying.
    Thank you for all your response

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    That's what TB's here for! (OK it's also for GAS and polite ranting (in moderation ;)))

That should be enough to get you an amp - not for life, and probably not the best on the market for tone and weight, but it should work. I've had a Harley Benton combo for almost a year now - works just fine, little buzzy but nothing severe. The Markbass cab should sound good with any OK amp and bass.

You can look at other online stores for deals (eg. B-stock, special offers) and check the local used listings. You can probably get something good for the money, if you're realistic and willing to dig around.

6. mrslap50505bass

mrslap50505bass

Jul 31, 2012
    im looking around at sites such as ebay at the moment, my bass was very priceworth, an Ibanez ATK 300:bassist: which sounds tight as hell ;). I apprieciete you helping me out, it seems like i'll be buying the Harley Benton BA250H

7. bobbertdole

bobbertdole

Jul 13, 2012
    I use a Peavey mark III its fantastic as will anything from the mark series, super loud super reliable. They are pretty old but you can find them on ebay pretty cheap.

8. mrslap50505bass

mrslap50505bass

Jul 31, 2012
    Nevermind, hes only shipping to us and cannada :(

9. Well it has a reserve on it. It's an older generation. I saw a red face first-gen SWR Bass 350 in great shape get ignored for $150, great head with a tube and if you put the right tube in it, even better. Study up on your older stuff, don't be random with your money.

10. Big question to ask is "Do the knobs and sliders make scratchy sounds when you work them?"

11. mrslap50505bass

mrslap50505bass

Jul 31, 2012
    okay, do you think the older Peavey Mark series that I got suggested earlier in the thread is a good choice to look for, since I'm abit of a newbie with amps filters and stuff I'm having a hard time figuring out which cheap amps are good and which are not :meh:

12. I LOVE the Mark series heads from peavey. They are really tough and will keep working. I still have mine and wouldnt part with it.

13. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    I'd bet the Peavey would beat the Harley Benton by a long way. If you can get a decent one and treat it well it could be rockin' for 20 years (or more, Peavey's apparently last forever).

14. mrslap50505bass

mrslap50505bass

Jul 31, 2012
    Since you've got one, do they have speakon out?

15. mrslap50505bass

mrslap50505bass

Jul 31, 2012
  16. no they do not have a speakon out, but I made my own 1/4 inch to speakon speaker cable.