Decent practice amp - Vox VX50BA vs Fender Rumble 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Late night, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Late night

Late night

Jan 20, 2021
    Hi,

I'd been stop playing bass for a couple of years, but recently I've had more time to spend while working at home; I changed my old bass to Sire P10 to have an experience of PJ pickup sounds and now I am looking for a combo amp, not a big one for any gig but "good enough" one for decent bass tone to play along with tunes I like at home in my room.

Firstly I checked out Fender Rumble 40 (100 would be too big for my small room, and my wife and neighbors will not be happy with that) but here in South Korea, 40 is not imported and if I order directly from the US, there will be electronic problems (not like LT 20 or Studio 40, Rumble 40 doesn't cover 220V and if using with down transformer, I'm afraid it might cause any noise problems)

For this reason, I'm thinking 'bout buying either Rumble 25 or Vox VX50BA as alternatives for Rumble 40. Rumble 25 seems to be fine as I like warm(ish) sounds of Rumble series, although lots of you guys in the US recommend to buy 40 or bigger ones. On the other hand, VX50 could be also a good choice, small but 50W power with Nutube sounds that I would like to experience.

So, my questions are

- Can I expect good warm sounds of Rumble from 25?
    - How is the sound of Vox VX50BA? I think it will be loud enough for my room despite its size, but is the sound any good to investigate $100 as much as other same-sized amps?
    - could you possibly recommend one of them to me?

Or, if you have any other gears to recommend for my situation, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you very much for all your advice, in advance!

Best regards from South Korea

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I own the Rumble 25 and I love it, and I would say yes it has a warm tone. Very full, rich (and loud!), surprising for its size. If you got to demo the 100 and liked the tone, you should be very happy with the 25. I also own the 100, which is my rehearsal amp, and the 25 leaves nothing to be desired for home. At reasonable apartment volume, I’ve never had a reason to turn it up past 9:00.

Never tried the Vox but here’s a very thorough thread:
    New Amp Day - VOX VX50BA

tindrum, G-Dog and Late night like this.
  3. Late night

Late night

Jan 20, 2021
    Thank you for your reply! Now I'm more inclined to order Rumble 25 thanks to your words!

CallMeAl likes this.
  4. BassAdder27

BassAdder27

Nov 16, 2020
    Ampeg BA110 superb amp

5. My first amp (per recommendation of long time bass playing friend) was a Rumble 25, which I still use most days during the week. The reason I like it is that it has an aux. in which means you can play backing tracks, songs, etc. through the amp as you play along. Second, it has a headphone jack which is probably my wife's favorite feature. That works great if you want to play but not disturb others around you.

Bassquest and CallMeAl like this.
  6. Late night

Late night

Jan 20, 2021
    Thank you for your comment! Right, headphone jack and aux in is essential for me.

7. I have the Vox and it's pretty good. The main drawback is it is 19volts, so it has a separate power supply. Not a problem but it's another piece of gear to carry around. It has built in compressor and overdrive if you like that stuff.

8. Late night

Late night

Jan 20, 2021
    Thank you for your comment! Small size with more wattage is very enticing, together with Nutube sounds + compressor. I will check it out!

9. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Just to expand on this a little bit. First, I always recommend the Rumble 40 as the best of the small Rumbles, per this post. But, if you have a technical issue with the 40 in your location, then the 25 is a very good alternative. But, with my Rumble 500, I'm not familiar with how the controls work together. But Alan is a very reliable Rumbler and you can believe his reviews. If you go this route come join us by posting a pic in the Fender Rumble Club. :thumbsup:

That said, I have enjoyed my Vox VX50BA for a few years now, per the same link Alan gave you. Its main selling point to me, at the time, was its ultralight weight at just 9.8 lb.s, and my back surgery lifting restrictions. As the linked thread says, it took some breaking in to sound good, but then it really blossomed! That NuTube sound is pretty dang cool, especially with the built-in Compressor and Overdrive. And, though it's just a small 8" speaker, it can really get loud!. Hard to say if the premium price is really worth it. I probably wouldn't have got it without my medical restriction. But, it's been a surprisingly fun little amp!

Either way, you'll qualify for joining the Combo Club to show off and discuss your new acquisition.

CallMeAl likes this.
  10. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Just to expand a little bit more ;) :

25: as far as wattage goes, I’m pleased as punch with the volume and tone of my 25 and feel it’s a nice apartment amp for the money. There definitely is the “40w or more for home” crowd... but I think that’s also the “500w or more for gigs” crowd! :roflmao: So I like to speak up for the 25 when I can :)

40: IMHO It’s the features that set the 40 apart from the 25, more so than the specs. Having owned the 100 before the 25, I was a little worried I’d miss the 3 voicing buttons and 4 band EQ; but I really haven’t. Line out is definitely worth noting however; if you want the amp for small gigs or recording- line out is clutch!

100: I feel the 100 gets a bad rap (the tone is hotly debated, but that’s a story for another thread ;) ) But also in terms of it being “just” 100 watts. I’ll tell ya, that sucker is loud! It’s been a workhorse for rehearsals, and served 2 years as a gig amp. If anyone is looking for a practice amp that can bridge the gap to “enough to start jamming with people” amp, the 100 is a great choice.

good luck, OP!

tindrum and butterfingers1 like this.
  11. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’ll plus one this too. If OP has trouble finding the Rumble they want, I wouldn’t hesitate considering the BA series as an alternative. I’ve owned the 108 and 115, and borrowed the 112- great amps

tindrum and butterfingers1 like this.
  12. Late night

Late night

Jan 20, 2021
    Thank you so much for information! I will check it out as you mentioned!

CallMeAl likes this.
  13. Late night

Late night

Jan 20, 2021
    Wow, this is a real helpful information, thank you very much!

CallMeAl likes this.
  14. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Ya got me there, Big Al. That's me in a nutshell. "Be prepared", is my motto. ;)

Yeah, neither the Rumble 25 nor the Vox VX50BA has a line out. The Vox does have a "Direct Out", however, but it has none of the amp's tone in it. It's just a split from the instrument input, the same as plugging your bass directly into the PA or recording desk.

Ditto: Good luck, Late night.

butterfingers1 and CallMeAl like this.
  15. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    All comments made IMHO, of course :)

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t begrudge anyone for being prepared. I just think there’s a bit of an overkill mindset floating around TB.

(As you know, Dog) I did outgrow the 100; it was enough for 95% of my gigs- and 95% wasn’t good enough for me. I in fact have a 500w combo for my current gig rig. I think the Rumble 500 is a fabulous piece of kit, enough firepower for so many situations, and wouldn’t mind picking one up someday (if gigs ever come back that is! :laugh: )

butterfingers1 and G-Dog like this.
  16. Late night

Late night

Jan 20, 2021
    Finally I have decided on Rumbe 25 and received it yesterday. I love the warm sound of it! But there comes standing hiss/noise with or without connecting my bass; it is getting louder when the volume is up. My previous amps haven't make that noise in the same place at home. Is it kind of normal (for vintage sound?:) )or something wrong with the amp? This is the link of the clip I made today.

17. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    No mine doesn’t hiss like that. I can turn it up full tilt, and nothing. Even with OD on it hisses a bit, but I don’t think it’s equal to what you’re experiencing.

Am I noticing it gets louder when the phone goes up to the front? Or is the mic just picking up more sound as it gets closer? Cause I’m thinking about RF interference

butterfingers1 and G-Dog like this.
  18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    tindrum likes this.
  19. Late night

Late night

Jan 20, 2021
    jeff7bass likes this.
  20. Late night

Late night

Jan 20, 2021
    When the amp volume is up, the noise is getting louder. Considering your advice, today I sent my amp to the store I ordered; they will check out whether there is any problem in the amp. Thank you for your help!

G-Dog and CallMeAl like this.