Decided the bass tab through a guitar tab

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jmcconn12345, Jan 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jmcconn12345

Jmcconn12345

Jan 13, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Hello

noob question I know , but kinda still am (mainly played punk for a long time) is there a way to pick the bass tab out of a authentic guitar tab?? Like a whole book of authentic guitar tabs ?? I’m curious , or is it not that straight forward...I can play the root notes up to a point based on the tab but not sure if that’s all

thanks in advance

LeeNunn likes this.
  2. Jmcconn12345

Jmcconn12345

Jan 13, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    And the typo ...I’m sorry it’s “Decifer” not decided lol

3. reddog

reddog

Mar 5, 2013
    Philly burbs
    You can change the title, if you want

4. Malcolm35

Malcolm35 Supporting Member

The 4 strings on a bass are the same as the low four strings on a 6 string guitar. So some of it would transfer, however, not enough to mess with.

Tabs are great for learning licks, runs, etc. but, for an entire song I question their value.

We end up playing notes of the active chord. So if we know the chord progression used in the song we can play the notes of the active chord.

You can rely on your ear for the chords, or you can let Google call up some fake chord sheet music that will have the chords. My ear is suspect, so I rely upon Google to provide some fake chord for me to use. These search words, chords, name of the song will normally get that fake chord sheet music you need.

Sing the lyrics and play the active chord's notes. Root first, then R-5, need more add an 8 for a R-5-8-5 bass line. Still need more bring in the correct 3 and 7 - R-3-5-7, etc.

My point, no director is going to hand you tabs, but, he will hand out fake chord to all members of the band and they all use the same sheet of music - so they stay together.

Tab has it's place, however, I would suggest you learn how to play from fake chord sheet music.
    For Example: Birdy - Wings (Chords)

5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Agree totally.

OP : Do yourself a favour and dont become too reliant on tab...of whatever type. Better to take Malcolm35's suggestion above. Also develop your ear and learn songs by listening and playing along, i.e. working out the bass lines by trial and error. The time and effort involved will be well worth it in the long term. IMO tab should be used VERY sparingly...if at all.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  6. Jmcconn12345

Jmcconn12345

Jan 13, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks guys ...trying to train my ear through the years

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, the bass part is usually different than the guitar part, so think about that.

Also, learn regular written music.

8. Malcolm35

Malcolm35 Supporting Member

Good point. Music is made of melody, harmony and rhythm.
    The bass falls into the rhythm section, so harmony and rhythm (notes of the active chord give us the harmony and locking with the drummer's kick drum takes care of the rhythm.) is our responsibility.

Yes, you can play melody if you want to. But, IMO, best to leave melody to the melody instruments - until you get some time under your fingers.

Good luck.