1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guitarchaser, May 2, 2010.

1. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    I'm off work in a couple of weeks for a week so thinking about getting a new bass (or two). I won't have time to test them out until then but just wondering what you guys think of the follow options.

Option 1: Two cheaper basses both under £500, can try them out but will shop about for either preowned or cheaper sites to get them from, Traben Phoenix and Yamaha RBX4-A2
    TrabenPhoenix. YamahaRBX4-A2.

Option 2: More expensive bass, under £1100, again I have access to try it out before buying so will shop about for preowned or cheaper online, Lakland 44-02
    Lakland44-02.

May also consider MM Stingray as sustitute for option 2, but will see what is still in store when I go to look.

Option 3: Either Traben Phoenix or Yamaha RBX4-A2 and a new computer...the one I'm using is coming up for 8 years old and is starting to stuggle. Have only ever increased the RAM in it but use it for Coral Painter X which slows it down depending on what brushes I use but wanting to either upgrade to Coral Painter 11 or Photoshop CS5.

So, what do you reckon? I've never tried any of the basses before but they caught my eye while looking through local guitar stores website, and looking to try out new things. There are various other Lakland basses that I can try out in my local shop so that may change my mind too *is so easily swayed* and when my parents get back from holiday (the reason my week off is then) hopefully they won't notice the new addition(s)! :ninja:

Other bass suggestions welcome!

2. stoolpigeon

stoolpigeon

Dec 17, 2009
    Greenville SC
    Can never go wrong with a Stingray!

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I can only say good things about the Yamaha. I am not too keen on the Traben and suggest playing that model first before purchase. Definitely a taste issue and there have been complaints about quality lately. It is also hard to go wrong with a Lakland or a Stingray...

4. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    I'd heard some complaints about Traben and will definitely give it a good try out when at the shop. My first bass was a Yamaha RBX170 and I'm keen to try out more but the shop I normally go to only stocks RBX170's and the RBX4A2. There is another store I can try but not so keen on it, but has changed hands since the last time so might be worth seeing if it's better now.

5. travep

travep Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Austin, TX
    IMO, you're really going for a specific "look" with the Traben...it never was interesting to me b/c that's not really the impression I'm looking for. I have played the Yamahas (not this model, though) and have been pleased with the tone. The one I bought, though, was a Lakland. The necks on them feel super. Great tone & the price for the Skyline models (at least in the US) can't be beat for the quality...my opinion, of course...

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I rather like Traben Array body and all. But the inlays on that ones neck are a bit too much for me. Have you seen the Traben Array Attack, or other phoenix models of Array? Part of what adds that little bit extra to the attack is how they slanted the neck J pup. Closer to bridge on E side. I like how that affects its tone string to string. The Lackland would be my other pick out of the ones youve mentioned. The traben uses same type of pup styles but would have a more metaalic edge to its sound then the Lackland imo. I think the extra metal of their bridges contributes to that. It can be rather great depending on sound pref. The lackland would be bit woodier sounding I think. Other thing I like about the Array series is their light weight. Apparently some trabens are pretty heavy.

7. I hate the look of that Yamaha, but I'm sure it plays and sounds great. Can't say I'd ever actually play the Traben live just because of the gawdawful fretboard. Call me silly for caring that much about looks but they matter to some extent. I'd probably pick the Lakland out of those three though I don't love the MM/J pickup config much. Sorry if I'm not help. :D