deepening someones voice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Jun 21, 2005.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    we have just formed a band and since were all under 18 our singer's voice hasent fully broken yet and we want to play some metallica/pantera/korn and other music that needs a deeper voiced singer. Apart from the obvious solution of waiting is there another way of making his voice deeper? amp settings? testosterone tablets? making him watch lots of pr0n movies?

im being semi-serious here because i need a proper solution but a few jokes are ok too

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How old is he, exactly? I dont think ive met someone that turned 17 without having their voice broken. I know some that still sounded feminine ish at 16, but they stayed like that and never inherited a deeper voice

so IME if hes 17 , his voice might never get that much deeper than it is already. If hes younger, hes just slow.
  3. Ill send some of my DNA over.

I've surprised a few people with how deep my voice is.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Nitrous oxide.

Actually, don't do this
  5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Have him use helium for a day or two. After he stops, his voice will seem much deeper and it won't be a problem for you anymore. :)

Otherwise, the testosterone tabs seem like your next best bet. But your singer will look like a zit-farm, which may or may not work depending on how hard your music is. :)
  6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

do u know where i can get these testosterone tablets? do they actually exist? or do we need to donate our testosterone to him?

btw he is 13 and has long blonde hair and if your are not paying attention he can look like a girl.....i think thats a bad start
  7. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Get knocked off a 15 foot worked for Frank Zappa.
  8. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    He can only sing in his range. If he doesnt sound like the singer of the band you are covering have him do it in his voice. Just because he doesn't have a deep voice doesn't mean he can't sing the song. If he has a good soundiong voice, he's hitting all the notes it should be fine. My one buddy always says "if you want to sound just like the original song play the CD and I'll stay home".
  9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Don't even consider the testosterone tabs. IMO you should never take drugs that are meant to change something about your body that isn't happening naturally unless it's guided by a doctor.

Plus, to go through all that just so his voice is deeper so he can sing korn tunes is rediculous. It's like having your drummer get a pen!s enlargement so he'll play like Tommy Lee.

*edit* I just noticed you said he's 13. He's not even through puberty yet, give it some time. Again, taking testosterone tabs at this time when he's still developing could be especially bad.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Please don't encourage anyone to take any medication they don't need, especially for something as temporary as a rock band.

13 is nothing. If your firend sounds like a kid, it's because he is a kid. You guys have your whole lives to be adults. Don't try to jump the gun. Trust me.
  11. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

The guy is 13. Think of how tight the band will be in four years, when his voice is closer to fully developed! In the mean time practice, have hin in his key and practice.

As my father used to say "You will be tighter than a bulls but at fly time"

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

PS. Way back when , we wantted a vocalist that sang the high notes and keys.
  12. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    There really isn't one, and like the others I wouldn't suggest taking pills just so he could sing low for a cover song, that foolish and dangerous.

Also if he tries to hit low notes that are out of his range. He has a possilbity of messing up his voice permently.
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My voice started changing when i was late 13. He has time.
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Do not let him take any medication. His voice will change soon enough, you'll just have to wait...until then, let him sing it in his range.
  15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I was joking about the testosterone tabs.
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I have a deep voice and I can't do metal... I don't think it has anything to do with deep.
  17. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Lucky Strikes, Camel straights, or any mentholated cigarettes.
  18. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I really hope you're joking.
  19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    They want him to have a deeper voice, not sound like Tom Waits.
  20. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    The only thing I can think of to recommend is to have him practice singing low a lot. I mean low as he can go and do it often.

It worked in my experience, though working the other direction. From singing along to different bands while driving I've increased my top end vocal range by a lot. Originally I couldn't even hit some of the notes Chad (from Mudvayne) would sing. Then after singing to some Chevelle and Audioslave (especially with Cornells voice) I increased the range even more.

I would think that if you went in the other direction it would stretch out the vocal chords to be able to go lower. (I noticed also that getting higher, I can't sing as low. I think I used to be able to hit a low D but now it bottoms out more around E)