Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I am having a really tough time deciding on my upcoming bass purchase. I am torn between either a five string or a fretless. My choices are as follows:
    1) Fender Marcus Miller V*
    2) Hanewinckel Fretless 5*
    3) Carvin LB75 Fretless
    4) De-Fret Fender + MM5

Here's my other tough problem. I have a standard fender jazz that I could easily convert to a fretless, and still afford a MM5 bass. however all the defretted basses I have played do not sound or feel anywhere as nice as "factory-made" fretlesses. Are these just bad de-fretting jobs, or can I never get that true fretless feel with a de-fret?

* I would normally opt for the Hanewinckel but I aboslutely love the Marcus Miller basses, and I would definately want to get one if all those rumors of it being discontinued are true.
  2. I did a defret job myself, and it turned out terrible. I am no luthier, so if you are considering defretting it, I would have a professional do it. You can still get the nice fretless feel if you get it done correctly... Defretting is not as easy as me and my friends thought it would be, we ruined a neck forever. So be careful no matter what you decide. Hope this helped ya a little bit. Good luck and enjoy whatever bass you decide to get/make! :)
  3. If I were you, I'd pay someone to defret my instrument professionally if you want to buy something that is fretted first.I have a ibanez that was hotrodded with bartolini gear, and defretted and epoxied before I bought it, and I feel it's the only fretless instrument, beside replacing my 5 string ergo with a real upright, that I'll ever need. I love the ergo, and upgrading to a 5 string upright will be a purchase far off into the future after I have money to spend on quality. I do like and respect the carvins, and have had two and can honestly say they are the best factory made instruments I've ever played, as far as finish, sound, and options go. I do however love the fender sound, it is different to me than the Carvin's i've had. If it were me, I'd probably buy the Fender, then get a Hanewinckel or Carvin fretless later on. I've never liked the limited, imo, range of sounds with a single music man pup.
  4. Why don't you buy a fretless neck for your Fender for about $190 and buy another bass. You will end up with 2 instruments you want and not run the risk of screwing up the defret. Defretting, sanding, and refinishing is not easy, and you can screw up your whole bass if you do it wrong. I did it and I've had to redo parts of it because of the job I did originally.
  5. +1 to that... seems the logical/cheaper solution to your problem... good luck either way
  6. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    +2 Best move you could make.
  7. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Yea, I am definately leaning towards that. Would warmoth be the best choice?
  8. +3! You're the (banana) Man! Great solution! If it doesn't work out; just put the old neck back on!!! Love it! And you STILL have another new bass to play with!
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    don't de-fret... go and buy a fretless, if you want one.
  10. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Can I put in custom options on my warmoth neck?
    I would like an ebony fingreboard (do I have to choose neck wood and fingerboard wood?). I would also like a satin finish on the back of the neck, and if possible, can I get the Fender decals to put on it?

thanks for any input, as I have never orrdered from warmoth
  11. debbandruss

Jun 10, 2004
    +4! Yeah I think Warmoth is a pretty safe route, none better?
  12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yo Classical thump, Ask the TB'er "bwbass" he is an employee of Warmoth and he could shed some light on what FB's and Neck combo's that they offer.
  13. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    My thought would be to go ahead and de-fret your Jazz. Do the neccesary research and give it a shot. If you screw it up, then get a Warmoth, USACG, or Allparts neck. That way you have the chance to save some moeny, and even if you mess the neck up, you will learn something in the process.

If you do get a carvin...let me know how you like it. I've been comtemplating getting one.