1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Defretting: epoxy question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mister-o, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Hey TBers, this is my first post, so go easy!

I decided to take my old fretted Ibanez that I no longer play and convert it to a fretless. Last night I successfull removed the frets with quite minimal damage (I mauled the board a little on the 24th fret -- the first one I tried -- but got cleaner very fast) and got all the supplies I needed this morning before work save one: the local hardware store didn't have any sort of epoxy coat I could use.

I found this stuff (Famowood Glaze Coat) at Lowes and was wondering if it would be OK to use to finish the product after I've filled the holes, sanded, and so forth. If not, can anyone recommend another readily available product?

Also, do I need to get some acetone for the pre-epoxy board, or for between epoxy coats?

Thanks!
    -- o

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    I like to epoxy (contrasting or complimenting) wood veneer into the fret slots. once cured I then level the new fingerboard, wipe it down to remove any dust, and then utilize multiple coats System3 Mirror Coat to build up a finish

after it's cured for a week or two I then level the fingerboard with one of the large aluminum radius blocks from StewMac before polishing at the buffer

all the best,

R

3. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars

4. Fair enough, thanks for the feedback. I guess then I'm hoping they'll have something harder (and in smaller quantity) when I go to the store!

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
  6. Guess that's what I'll do then. Have to wait for shipping though! Oh well...