1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Delano SBC-HE/S-4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gabe7539, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Gabe7539

Gabe7539 Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2016
    I've seen a couple of videos demonstrating these pickups on basses by "blasius" and "maruszczyk". The Delanos seem to have a really thick midrange. I've also been researching Bartolini dual-coil pickups, these also sound really nice, but seem to have more low-end. Couple of questions:
    1. Has anyone tried the Delanos, and what experience did you have?
    2. Would it make sense to try for the best of both worlds with the Delano quad-coil in the middleish/sweet spot position and the Bartolini dual-coil fairly close to the neck? I think then I could split the Delano to get an optional P-bass sound, or put in a parallel/series switch or something like that.
    This video shows a similar arrangement with the Delano SBC and JBC

2. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    Spain
    @Gabe7539 What did you do?
    I am exactly at the same point, I don't know if Delano or Bartolini would match my tastes...
    The video you have posted is the sound I've been looking for... but my bass pickups actually are 36mm W 100mm L
    I've been hearing the SBC HE S 4 and I don't like as much as the video you've posted... They have a lot of mids

Thank you!

3. mustBmtd

mustBmtd

Sep 28, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    I've own one of the MTD Kingston Z6 model basses. And during that time I upgraded from the stocked electronics to the Delano 6string soapbar pickups and the Aguilar OBP-3. Man! What tone increasement an range the pickups delivered. Still in usage right today every church service. Guys in my church band won't let me get rid of it. They say with the pickups it's truly an MTD being still a low budget one. Sounds like a beast, but tamed by the Angels of the preamp lol.

Diegombass likes this.
  4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    The Delano’s are just about my favorite pickup. I have a quad coil neck (lives in P setting) and dual coil bridge (lives in series setting) And it rocks. I’ve had that set up in 3 different basses and it just works great. Not super vintage sounding but not too sterile or modern either.

Diegombass likes this.
  5. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    Spain
    May any of you (better both) record a clip?
    I am worried about the high mids, I don't like it and I hear it in lots of demos.
    Thank you!

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Many demo videos are poorly done. The best of them will run the audio straight into an uncolored audio interface, with no effects or processing. The rest of them are tainted by preamp settings, effects, or (worst of all) a microphone picking up speaker coloration and room modes.

Even the best video demos are still somewhat hampered by the extreme compression in most video codecs.

Best to get a pure audio WAV file, or an MP3 or M4A at a very high bitrate.

I have a pair of the Delano SBCs, and I remember liking them very much, with beefy mids, tight lows, and airy highs. But it’s been a long time since they’ve been installed in anything, and those adjectives I just used are hopelessly subjective anyway.

7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Hey, yeah unfortunately I don’t don’t have any good recordings, probably just a couple recoded off someone’s iPhone.

I don’t find them to be heavy on the high mids.

8. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    How does quad coil compares to the dual one? And does it sounds like a P in split coil setting? Or is it somewhat different?
    Was thinking for some time about getting a quad coil (for noiseless humbucker and split coil combos mostly), but I'm still not sure if it's worth to get a semi custom one with in-line coils (instead of P ones). I think they're wired the same way, so they should sound almost identical too..