Delay Pedal Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MrDizzyStick, Feb 5, 2005.

1. MrDizzyStick

Jan 25, 2005
    Looking for a delay pedal. I had my eye on the Line 6 DL4, but I am not sure if it worth $200+. Does any have any suggestion for a quality delay? Or does it cost an ass load for quality?
  2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    i love my Ibanez DE-7, nice warm sound, good analog simulation. Not incredibly versatile, but awesome delay pedal.
  3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    people love them their de-7's.

i love my dd-3, m'self.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The DL-4 is well worth its money. Very sturdy and versatile with a nice tone. But it's much more than just a delay.
    A Boss DD-3 would do just the trick.
  5. I love my DL-4, but it's so much more than several delays, albeit one at a time. If you're curious about looping & know you want a delay, I highly recommend it.
  6. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    boss dd-3. its perfect
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    as far as huge delay pedals go, the consensus is that the dl-4 has good looping capabilities, but the dd-20 has better-sounding delays.

if you don't care about looping nor do you care about having extreme amounts of options, just a standard dd-3, 5 or 6 would do fine.

or a de-7. they're cheaper, too.
  8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, if you want good, cheap and small, Guyatone is what you're looking for.
  9. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    The Guyatone unit seems to be highly revered by those in the know. Having said that, I own both the Ibanez DE-7 and the Boss DD-5. The Ibanez has a decent digital delay, but the analog echo setting is what makes it good. (For me.) You can also get a very trippy runaway feedback thing out of the Ibanez, but it becomes unwieldy if you're not careful. IMO, the DD-5 kicks @$$ all over the DE-7. It has way more settings and has a much sharper tone. If you just want a "good" delay, go for the DE-7, it is much cheaper anyway. If you want a great delay that is way versatile, check out a DD-5, (or DD-6).
  10. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i too, have been searching for a delay that will give me everything i could ask for and although the line 6 dl-4 is killer, i already use 2 electrix repeaters so i don't need the looper function. what i was impressed by (and will likely pick up pretty soon) is the new line 6 stomp box delay called the echo park. they have a movie on their site. i went to a store and checked out a demo...they are pretty bad ass and can handle everything for a delay, but its one of those pedals that you need to learn to use. so if you like to just plug in and kick on the effect this isn't for you. if you like to explore your effects and get the most of them, take a look at this one.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was very fond of my Ibanez DE-7 way back when I had one.
  12. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I have the Guyatone. Having tried a lot of them (including the Line 6 delay modeler rack and the Boss whatever-it-was), I found that the Guyatone had the best sound, period. The H20 by Visual Sound is pretty good, too, but less flexible (although you get a pretty good chorus for free, in a sense). Everyone whose tried it on my pedal board has been really impressed (ask SuperBassman2000).
  13. yes...the guyatone is probably the best delay i've tried that can be done on bass (my favorite is built-in on the fender cyber twin...especially that reverse delay...mmmm) but the guyatone is the best pedal delay i've tried, and it really is easy to use. it crushes my DOD DFX9 digital delay, which i got for like 15 bucks...