Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter 1.5 U preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Sep 28, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How does the older 1.5U VTBP-201 Demeter preamp compare to the newer one?

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is there any hearable difference?:)

3. I beleive the new ones are a bit cleaner, but really not a lot. You can't miss with either of them. I think the main difference is in the fx loop (new ones are more flexible).

Hope this helps.

Jure

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. I don´t use efects at all so I guess I´ll be alright then. The one Im looking at has the Jensen DI too.:cool:

5. Great. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. I'm also from Europe. Just curious: may I ask for the price?

Jure

6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I prefer the original. The older Demeter VTBP 201 has all switchcraft metal jacks, the single space uses the plastic jacks. Bass Player did a review and said that the preamps sounded similar but not identical. I'd be amazed if the newer model was any cleaner than the older model with good tubes. Can you improve on perfection?:)

Chuck

7. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Bringing this one back from the dead and bumping it for purely selfish reasons ;)

8. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    The old ones have 2 12AX7's vs. 1......
    That's a difference. I have to say, the original (which I've owned) was as close to perfect as I can imagine.....it's a rare thing when an audio design loses a tube,doesn't change price after 10 years and sounds "better".

But having said that, I haven't heard the current version.

9. I have an older one and if it were stolen I would buy two so I wouldn't have to be without it ever again. The two of them would never travel together (like the president and VP). A fantastic pre.

10. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Thanks guys, for your responses. Fretless, have you heard or tried the newer, silver one?

11. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    The current version utilizes two 12AX7s, as well...

12. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Oh dear. . .

13. Gruuv, yes I had the two side by side. The older one sounded better IMO. No way to really put into words how it sounded better. All I could say is it sounded closer. Make any sence? I also tried out a Kern. The Kern was also great, but a little dark. Even after turning down the bass knob.

Keep in mind, my tone is not your typical modern sound and I love it that way. Elrick SC Fretless in passive mode (I had a friend build me a little passive tone box that I use sometimes to roll off the highs)--->Demeter--->Stewart--->1x12 cab for small gigs, 2x15 Big Bertha + 1x12 cab for bigger gigs.

I'm not a fan of the uncolored EA sound. Don't care for the scoopy mid slap sound. I use as little high end as possible. My tone is just regular bass tone. I do get comments on it all the time. From bass players and non-bassplayers alike. To me it just sounds real. Hope this helps.

14. As I've never tried a newer unit, my 1.5 space Demeter Blackface is the bomb...seriously speaking. Just incredible - through a nice transparent power amp the tone is very, very close to a "quicker" all-tube sound (if that makes sense).

I've been impressed every time I use it...just a super preamp with a perfect D.I. (Jensen) to give it all the flexibility it needs.

Jay

15. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Cool, thanks fretless and vj. I am pretty sold. . . I had a silver faced newer one a while back that I sold when I got out of the pre/power game for a while. I got offered an older one and just wasn't sure if there was anything that I'd be "missing" going to that from the one I had. I LOVED the tone mine got, so I can't imagine going wrong either way. Just curious. . .

16. If you're not happy, sell it to me!

17. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    :D

Will do, but I'm pretty sure I'll dig it!

18. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Do any of you guys have an old 201 (1.5 U) without the famous Jensen transformer? I could have a really good deal on one (around 175$) but I'm wondering if the lack of the Jensen is a real throwback? :confused:

Thanks

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The DI is great but $175 for a Demeter pre even without the DI is a steal. I suspect the DI could be retro-fit for reasonable dough. The transformer itself is something like $100 ...

20. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I called Demeter and the retrofit is 200$. I guess I could get the transformer and have it done by a tech in my own town, probably cheaper...

Thanks.