Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter 600 mini review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maestro4Bass, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    I gigged with my new Demeter 600 head this past weekend.
    I used it with an older 8 ohm Epifani 210 that's been modified with the newer UL speakers. My sound was clean, clear, strong, and very tight. I also had plenty of punch. The room was a small club size venue. I had alot of head room and I must say this new head really did the trick. I'm use to a HBP-1 w/ a crest CA9. Of course the poweramp side dosen't compare with a CA9 but, this unit is alot lighter. So, for small to medium venues I have what I need to get my sound and save my back too. :hyper:

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool,

been wonderin' about this guy.

how are the passive controls? are they as useless as on the VTBP?

3. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    The front end is exactly the same as the HPB-1. The parametric really kicks it into turbo! 27 lbs, 2 rack space, and 14" deep.

4. I want this amp more than anything in the world. Even more than the olsen twins naked. This thing is gonna be legendary! Gimme gimme gimme gimme. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :eyebrow: The EQ on the Dem pre is very useful. IMO of course.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think so too - and usually you don't need it
    that said i really dig the hbp1's parametric, i wish i had one
    what are the specs on the head as far as wattage? and can it power a 2 ohm load?
    cost might be cool too.
    thanks
    ivan

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I wish there were two versions with the VTBP or HBP as pre options. I just like the VTBP better.

8. I've never tried the HBP, but now from searching posts, it seems that people are saying it's a bit harsher in the upper treble freqs. I almost bought the VTBP years ago but had the good fortune of A/B-ing it with an F-2B and I liked the Alembic a tad better.

9. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah thats pretty much what I found when I A/Bd the two. I thought the VTBP had a little more sweetness in the midrange as well. It was really splitting hairs though. In a mix there would be virtually no sonic difference as they are both great pres.

So has anyone else had experience with this head?

10. Man this is nuts. I'm gassing like a greek pastry chef.... OK I don't even know what that MEANS.

In a few weeks I'll have enough money to either pay off my credit card debt OR buy The HB 600 AND a Compulator... but I dunno, I love my Alembic and Hafler. I'm talking nonsense right now. Duurrrrrr, rruuurrr, ruuuurrrr zip weeeeeeeeeeee!!

11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hmmmmmmmmm, i'll have to try one

12. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The wisest choice is obvious. Get the amp and let us know how it sounds. :D

13. Agreed!

14. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    I'm content with my gear... I don't think I've every been this way before. The HB600 is very cool, I love it. I also like the Vtb201s pre however, the the HBP-1 has a bit more flexiblility and that works for me. Since the first time I used the HB600, it gradually sound better and better. Must be some kind of electronic thing.

15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    That sounds like a great head. I have the HPB-1 pre and I love the parametric section. I also have an Eden 800 and I keep coming back to the Demeter for clarity. Hope you enjoy it!

16. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    I sold my Eden WT800 right after I got my HBP-1.
    IMO this is one of, if the not the best head on the
    market. The HB600 is most defintely all that or all dat.
    Which every one is the hippest.

17. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    so, if ya don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for it retail?

18. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    so i hear around 1500 or so give or take.
    i may have to save up for one.
    i was interested in the aggie 500 but decided against it as it wasnt a lot louder than my eden 400 and couldnt do the 2 ohm thing (which is one thing i dont liek about the eden 400 - i was actually considering getting an eden 550 which will power 2 ohms). before i get into trouble, i think the aggie 500 is a wonderful head, and woulnt say anything bad about it.
    the difference between the 201s and hbp1 has been talked and debated to death. i like them both. i have an old "black face" one and a half space 201 which is awesome, and from what one dealer tells me, the old 201 sounds better than the two newer amps, (in their opinion). I havent done a test so i won't comment. Using my own ears and talking to the folks at demeter i was able to determine that the hbp1 sounds a little "quicker" and "tighter" than the 201s, which demeter says is due to the output stage being solid state in the hbp1. I also think the parametric eq on the hbp1 is the best i've heard on a preamp. To me, the big bummer about the hbp1 is the inability to switch the frequencies of the bass and presesnce controls. On the 201s and the old 201 the bass is selectable for 60 Hz or 120 Hz, and the presence for 2 kHz or 4 kHz (the earliest 201's selected between 3 kHz and 6 kHz for the presence control). what i have found on the old 201 is switching between 60 Hz and 120 Hz has a dramatic impact upon the tone of the preamp, regardless of where the bass control is set. (i don't recall if the same is true on the new 201s). I tend to prefer 60 Hz for most applications. On the HBP1 the center freqecies for the bass and presence are hard wired at 120 Hz and 2 kHz. All that aside i'm really digging the idea of the demeter 600 head, especially due to the fact that it will power a 2 ohm load and that it uses a MOSFET power section. (the MOSFET of the aggie 750 is pure heaven). I'll definitly have to try one out. It just may replace my eden wt-400 as a backup amp. The eden sounds great, but i prefer the demeter sound, and the idea of having it in a head is very tempting. Giev us some more reviews when you get to take it out for some gigs!

19. Maestro4Bass

Maestro4Bass

Jun 5, 2001
    Newark D.E
    Yup! $1500.00 is correct and well worth it...

Sorry for the delay what can I say I'm a musician