Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Demeter HBP-1 users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Jan 15, 2004.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Anybody here have any experience with this preamp in the studio. I will be doing some recording in a couple of weeks and am curious to hear some feedback.

I cant decide weither to mic (see my thread about the PLX fan noise) or go direct with the Demeter.

I think the studio has a couple of Avalon U5's. I might be able to use of those. But, I dont know. I have to talk to the engineer and see how he gets his best results. Thanks for your help!

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've worked with all three of what you're talking about, and had good results with all of them.

I found that the U5 worked best when mixed with a mic'd signal, as it was a bit "sterile" for the tone I was trying to get (latin rock recording), and the mic'd signal gave the fat & warm tone well, while the U5 gave me some cut and definition.

The Demeter on the other hand, I ran direct, and got a killer tone, particularly with my Zon fretless.

Try all of them, and mix & match, heck, if you can record all three, then you can just mix them to taste to get the tone you or the engineer are looking for. If I were in your place, and the project can afford to use 3 tracks for bass, that's EXACTLY what I'd do. :D

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    do a bump