1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Demeter VTDB-2 tube DI

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Yango, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth
    Anybody here using one of these either live or in the studio?

If so, what do you think of it?

I'm considering picking one up second had for a very good price. I'll be using it with my EBMM Classic Stingray 4H for recording, and live with one of my two Stingrays, and either my Walkabout Scout 12" combo or my Gallien Krueger MB Fusion 500 with a Scout 12" cab.

I'm playing blues, blues/rock and rock (with some jazz/fusion influences).

Attached Files:

2. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth
    Is it possible that NOBODY is using this DI??

3. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I have used one several times though I've never owned one. It's a beautiful sounding direct box. The tone is accurate but with a nice furry sheen to keep it from being sterile. Hope this helps

4. bassie12

bassie12

Aug 23, 2008
    There are many of these in the best studios in the world. I have the equivalent in a couple old red knob VTB-201s. I keep them around for many uses(my day gig is recording engineer/producer.) Great, rich clean sound for any instrument. Any time a bassist walks in with one of his own, it's a great start to a session.

5. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth
    Well, sounds good so far, thanks guys.

It just made me wonder when I went to the Demeter site, and under the description and uses, he lists acoustic guitar, electric guitar (clean DI sound), electric guitar (amplified), pedalboards and effects devices, synthesizers, drum machines and samplers, digital and hard disk recording—but no bass!! Although, I suppose it is possible that bass may fall under "electric guitar"...

6. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Other than the REDDI, it doesn't seem like tube DIs get much love. I have a Groovetubes 4001 that I really like for recording, haven't needed it live.

7. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    I do not own one, but used one for a demo recording back in the 90's at Ambient Studios. My EMGCS-loaded modulus went through the Demeter and to a digital recorder without eq or compression at any point in the chain. By itself and with vocals/piano/drums, the bass track sounded great! When I asked the engineer what he did to tweak the bass sound, he simply pointed out the Demeter.

I would describe it as pristine and smooth sounding- a great studio tool.

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Like bassie12, I've used the similar VTB-201. Great sounding unit.
    You're not going to go wrong with one of these, methinks....

9. I've used the Demeter years ago and it sounded great, but I currently have a very similar Aguilar DB900 (same basic tube/Jensen xfmr topology) that sounds amazing with bass. It, too, has a very high input impedance like the Demeter. I can't really say how they compare as it's been many years since I last used the Demeter, but I can say that I get many compliments on the DB900. And one of the live engineers I work with often says the DB900 and my EBMM SR5 (fretless) are his favorite combination.

YMMV. Hope that helps.

10. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth
    Thanks for all of your input.

I went to check it out, and just couldn't pass it up. It's in mint condition, and I got it for a great price.

I can't wait to plug that sucker in!!!

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anyone here have one they'd like to sell? Thanks.

12. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    I've owned and used one in the studio for years. Absolutely great stuff. I usually carry four DI's to a studio. The Demeter, a Tonehammer, an Eden DI and a cheap thing made by Signalflex. The Demeter always comes out first and if the engineer knows anything about equipment it's the one that gets used. The Signalflex is the last off the bench and some less experienced people prefer it because it has an absurdly huge amount of gain.

If you got a Demeter for a low price you did good. Keep it for life and you'll make alot of friends.