Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

designed a bass...sorta

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 30, 2005.

1. well, since i got into my electrical pre-apprenticeship ive had to practise drawing to scale and other drawing techniques...so i did this..kinda jazz bass/warwick influenced...small body....
    [​IMG]
    i just got photoshop too :D
    [​IMG]

2. Bit of a crude drawing but I like the shape, I can see the warwick horn influence!

3. impressive color. that body's extremely small-looking. kinda cort-like.

4. yeah, i only scanned up the first draft...i was intending it to be a small bodied slap machine :D ..yeah, i love the warwick corvette horn style...the wood pattern i used is from a walnut moon jazz bass....i think i drew the pickup/neck/bridge a bit too large

but my main influence to designing a smaller body was that i play rather high, like most jazz/blues players and i find that some basses can be a bit cumbersome to get around sometimes....and i really dig the cort curbow body size but the lower horn just makes it almost impossible to play sitting down..i was having thoughts about building this bass...even though my skills are poor, i was also considering "sub-contracting" it out and getting the body built and just buying a neck and the components and doin the rest myself...oh, passive electronics too, just a volume and a tone

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I think you need to work on the scaling a little. Designing basses is fun... esp when theyre the right size. I just finished drawing myself up a bass, and the best way to do it, of course being incredibly time consuming, is to do it all right. Use real graph paper (I used two sheets of ... ... really really big graph paper my dad had from his architect days... and drew everything 100% to scale. Go online and find out all the dimensions of all the hardware. Its going to take you a full day to get a working draft, but I think itll be worth it. Looking good, but also about 5 inches wide.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    - (IMO) visually, the lower half of the body looks too small (below the waist pinch). Having the horns wider than lower body looks odd.
    - Scale-wise, you're off. If that's a 22 fret neck, then either the body needs to be much longer, since the bridge is far too close to the neck, or you're planning to build a 24" scale bass. Lay it out to scale, and you'll see.

7. That's a very nice looking concept! It is going to have to be bigger though, unless you are going with a very short scale. Keep experimenting though, cause you can make some very small looking bodys that are still 34".

Loving the photoshop work!

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I love the shape, but I think it needs to be bigger. Other than that, nice drawing!

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    In comparison to the body, the is one big bridge. It'd be like..the essence of tone and intonation!

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Man, thats a small body...er, or big PU and bridge.

11. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like the shape too. It reminds me of a Warwick and a LeCompte. However, I am with the others that some reworking of the design will have to be done in order to get the scale length just so.

http://www.beebasses.com/html/the_drone.html (This is the Drone "Mini" Bee bass. It has a compact body and single 'bucker much like you're going for. Sometimes I think when going for an idea, it's good to see what's out there as close as possible to your idea for some pointers. Maybe this can help you.)

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like it, but I'm seeing some serious neck dive in your future.

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    +1

14. well i know im gonna have to re-design a little, thats only a first draft, i didnt even have a pc to access or anything, it was at tafe the other day...but if you notice, i did take a little or the warwick thumb design where the neck is off center and closer to the lower bout of the body
    [​IMG]
    more influences :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    also the curbow neck/bridge gap isnt too far..and keep in mind a badass is about twice the size of the corts bridge
    [​IMG]

im also thinking of making it a 32" scale..and headstock something along the lines of the japanese bass collection basses, sleek and inline