Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Detachable neck Azola Bugbass

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Dan in NJ, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Dan in NJ

Dan in NJ

Sep 3, 2004
    Jersey Shore
    I'm seriously considering checking out and purchasing a used Bugbass--anyone have any thoughts/experience with the detachable neck Azola? Why were they discontinued?

Also, re/ the older piezo (I think it's the single wing) set-up, anything I need to watch out for?--I'm looking to do high-volume gigs with it--

Thanks! Dan

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    My experience with the original BugBass pickup (single Bass Max) is that tone was uneven. The bottom strings were loud but the top strings fainter and sounded like they were far from the pickup.
    At that time, I replaced the bridge/pickup system with my own maple bridge and Underwood pickup.
    I think they now put two Bass Max pickups on the bridge.

3. Dan in NJ

Dan in NJ

Sep 3, 2004
    Jersey Shore
    Merci bien, Francois--

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi again.
    With the Azolas permission, I'm posting this more detailed information:

5. Dan in NJ

Dan in NJ

Sep 3, 2004
    Jersey Shore
    Francois, thanks to you and to Jill for yr efforts. I'm going to pass on this and at some point I will likely buy an EUB directly from the maker.
    The guy selling this as a "detachable neck" is a bassist with an impressive resume and schedule and is listed as a endorser on the Azola site (on the Lightning Bug list). I have to assume he had it modified. In any case, I'm going to back away from it--if any NYC area cats want to check it out, here's the link: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/92674170.html

asking price seems a bit high--but I'm no EUB expert (clearly!)

I played one of the older Bugs when a guy playing one locally let me sit in on it. I had the same experience you describe, notes disappearing up the G string.

Also, I have a Biesele which I love on my main gig bass and I might prefer a EUB with either a magnetic option or a traditional fingerboard end to mount a Biesele on.

Again, thanks Francois!

6. Steve Azola

Steve Azola Azola Basses

Jan 23, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    www.azola.com
    Hello again Dan and Francois,

Now that Dan has clarified that it is Massimo's special *Lightning Bug* which he was considering, that changes our reaction to his initial comments, in which the model was referred to as a BugBass. We *did* build two special Lightning Bugs several years ago which had a pretty unique and efficient approach to the disassembly concept. We actually had a lot of fun at the NAMM show that year demonstrating the first one.

The only reason we opted *not* to carry that version into full production was because we ultimately worked out the small, lightweight, and economical SKB travel case we're using for the Ltg Bug - which does not require *any* disassembly at all - keeping things as simple as possible.

Hope this info helps. Sorry if we confused you earlier.

Sincerely,
    Jill Azola