Detuning dilemma

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MrDuncan, Nov 12, 2005.

1. I'm pretty sure that this is posted in the right forum but if its not I'm sure one of our friendly neighborhood mods will come along and point it in the right direction.

Here's my dilemma, I am jsut new to detuning and currently I am learning material that requires tuning down 1/2 step and one whole step on only one or multiple strings. I am just wondering if there is any special adjustment that should be made to my bass before doing this. I am currently playing a Jazz Bass 24 and Geddy Lee. My main worry is with the Geddy Lee cause of its very thin neck.

At the moment I am practicing all the detuned songs on my old Samick P-bass copy that already plays horrible anyway. Just want to get some input before I take the plunge on my main axes.
  2. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Just get larger gauge strings. Larger gauges require more tension to get the same frequency, so they'll be a comparable tension when tuned toa lower frequency. It looks like you're going for Drop C#, that a common enough drop tuning, your basses should take it without any issues.

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I used to tuned down a half step in my band. Dont forget to have the neck and all adjusted for that. It will help.I had an Ibanez with a thin jazz like neck.It didnt bother it much at all.Just have someone or yourself make the adjustments.
  4. Larger guage strings aren't really an option as I don't like them.
  5. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, I have never noticed that a .05 mm string size enlargement made a difference. Anyways, when detuning you need to probably do the following since you dislike thicker strings

Truss rod adjustment... Probably bow the bass back a little for more string tension that the thicker strings would give you.

Intonation adjustment and string height should be raised a little...

That should do it.