Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DI box for ABG

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MD, Feb 5, 2005.

1. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Hi all,

I'll be getting a mixer soon, and will be needing some DI boxes.
    Passive boxes should do for the piano and electric basses, but I'm wondering if the acoustic bass guitar needs a different set up. Perhaps an active box?

Does anyone have feelings, opinions or issues they would like to share regarding DI boxes?

Thanks,
    M.

2. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    the MXR-M80 bass Di works well with both electric and acoustic basses, as well as other electric/acoustic instruments such as guitar and mandolin.

the built in eq and tone shaping options are very nice.

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    If the ABG has a preamp then you shouldn't have a problem going either way. But don't get a cheapie DI regardless of active or passive. I happen to like DI's like the Aguilar or the Radial, but you could do really well with something like the SansAmp or the MXR. I'm not sure about the MXR, but the SansAmp works as both a passve DI and an active DI.

All you are looking for is a way to get a lo-Z balanced signal to the mic preamp. You can do this with a lot of devices, including things like an ART TubePre, or the DI out on many preamps, amps. The thing that will kill your signal quality is noise, and passive DIs are typically quieter, and cheap active DIs tend to be noisy. So it is even more critical that if you go active, don't go cheap.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you use the DI out from an amp, make sure you either have the phantom power off or make double sure the amp can handle phantom power. Many amps can't have phantom power.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Countryman Type 85
    All you really need, unless you want a fancy tube jobber or something with some tone shaping.

Here is what I want.Summit TD-100

But the Countryman is a workhors, and transparent. Love'em

6. I use an ART Tube MP Studio with my Guild B4E ABG, a Fender Jazz, and a Carvin active six-string. It works wonderfully, plus it has the added benifit of XLR's, giving you more studio flexibility. I recently swapped the stock Penta 12ax7 tube for a NOS Svetlana and fell in love!

7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Cool, thanks.
    Think I'll start with the Countryman-85 and go from there.
    Thanks again,
    M.