1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Di necessary with my motu?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    If im running directly into my motu, do i need a di at all? I have a countryman but im thinking about a REDDI eventually. Is this even necessary or does it add anything? I've heard getting a split signal from micing the amp and running direct is a good way to record bass. what do you think?

2. It is definitely worth performing an A/B. A DI means that you are going to be using the mic preamp, where if you go in with an unbalanced 1/4" plug you will probably be bypassing the pre. If you are coming in through a line input (or using the mic/line switch, you don't say what model interface you have) then you are basically using the internal "DI", designed for a hi-Z source.

I have done it both ways but since I often have a DI set up anyway I will use it. I'm using a Radial ProD2 most of the time. I was using the DO out on my Read Purity until I sold it, and before that I was using an Aguilar DB900. The Radial is their bottom of the line passive DI, but it still sounds fine. I have access to some better options if I feel the need, but I rarely do.

3. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i have the original motu 828. im pretty sure there is only 2 mic pre's on it but i don't know. there are 8 or 10 in's and outs though.

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I am almost positive that the 828 just has a preamp on the first two channels. I've tried running direct into my motu 896HD as well as using a couple different external preamps. I prefer using an external preamp blended with a dry signal usually.

PS: I am unable to bypass the preamp on my 896. It is always on on all 8 channels. That can ocassionaly be very annoying.

5. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    sorry im so new at this. how do you blend a signal?

6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I will usually run a dry signal (ie: not going through the preamp, or at an uneffected send from a preamp) into a seperate channel, and then run through a preamp into a different channel. That way when I am mixing in my DAW I've got two differing channels of bass to toy with. Sometimes I will just roll with one or the other, but occasionally having both is a real boon.

Example: I am currently mixing a track that is a fretless J strung with chromesteel flats but has a prominent harmonic melody played on bass in a couple sections. Flats and harmonics don't sit naturally well together. No problem. I ran a dry signal out the uneffected send into one channel then used a SABDDI and ran into a second channel. That way I EQ'd the dry signal for a lot of upper mids to make the harmonics pop out, and then EQ'd the SABDDI wet signal for the booty. I kept them both panned dead center and you can't really tell that it is two channels. They blend.