1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DI on a tube preamp head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by srslots81, Mar 7, 2013.

1. srslots81

srslots81

May 29, 2012
    I am looking to purchase a head for gigging. When the venue (NYC) has a cab I will plug the head into the cab. However, when there is no cab, I want to be able to use my head as a straight DI so I don't have to also purchase a standalone DI box. I don't have room to store my own cab.

I have been looking at a lot of SS heads, but would I be able to use a hybrid head for this application, or is having any type of tube head going DI without a cab a No-No? Even if it is a hybrid?

Thanks!

2. chee666

chee666

Jul 24, 2008
    NYC
    Kustom deep end hd300 not bad for the money

3. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    Most, if not all, class D hybrids are safe to run no-load ie the Genz streamliner and shuttle series.

4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    As far as I know most hybrid amps will be fine for this purpose. I've done exactly what you're describing many times with my SVT 3-PRO to no ill effect.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep, you only have to worry about power tubes, not preamp tubes, in this context.

6. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    The Eden WT300 head I own is great for that. And, it has the option to send the DI signal pre or post eq.

7. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    GB Streamliner is it..

Full tube pre-amp with DI out ..and interestingly supports line level in addition to mic level... this is a huge plus for me and one reason i bought this amp.
    Unlike most marketing blurbo, this really is a studio quality DI.. plugged it into my system and was stunned at the low noise and clarity.
    I ran it for a week before my cab arrived as a preamp for the BG250 and its a great sounding full tube preamp, great DI, and 600 or 900W when you have a cabinet.

cant go wrong in my book

8. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    The DI on the Markbass TTE heads is remarkably good.

9. I am not positive about the G-K MB Fusion I would guess it is the same as the Fusion 550. The DI is fed from the six stage tube preamp either pre tone controls or post tone control. Either amp can be safely run without a speaker cab attached.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only SS or hybrid amp on the market these days that you can't use without a speaker cab is the top of the line Warwick Hellborg power amps. It contains an output transformer, and output transformers will blow and cause major problems if you don't use a cab with them. None of the other ones have an OT that I know about because they're really not needed with SS/hybrid, so you're cool. Jonas Hellborg does it because he believes the OT is what makes tube amps sound tubey. Don't know if I agree, but I have no firsthand knowledge of it so what do I know? ;)

11. Someone is making a OTL tube amp, can't remember the maker ATM that can be run without a speaker cab in theory. But that is not why you called :D

12. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've used my SVT-7PRO head, without attaching a cab, as a DI in both gigging and recording.

Does a nice job.

13. srslots81

srslots81

May 29, 2012
    Great info guys, thanks! This opens up the opportunities for me, as I thought I was restricted to just SS heads. I've got a Pbass > Diamond Bass Compressor > JHS Low Drive > Head yet to be purchased. When a venue does not have a cab, I would do that chain and have the head go DI to FOH without a cab.

Was looking at the following SS heads, but will now open up the search to include Hybrid variables of the following:

Markbass LittleMark III
    Markbass BigBang
    Markbass LittleMark 800 (will look at Tube version)
    Aguilar TH500
    GK MB800
    Ampeg PF800 (will look at SVT heads now)
    Will look at GB Streamliners

The key for me is awesome thumping clean tone that makes my P sound like a P, that can also respond well to my pedals. Portability is essential since I am in NYC without a car. I am in a loud 4 piece, so I was thinking of going for over 500 watts so I have the headroom and power available when needed.

14. srslots81

srslots81

May 29, 2012
    So, based on more research, and a limited availability of heads to play in person I am leaning towards either the Markbass Little Mark Tube 800 or the GB Streamliner 900. I do have the option of playing the Markbass tomorrow at guitar center though which I am looking forward to!

Any comments on the quality of the DI in the Markbass Little Mark Tube 800?