Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

did i get ripped off

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalhead400ho, Nov 28, 2003.

1. hey all i bought a samick bass on ebay for $250.00
    its beautiful and plays great i cant seem to find out what model it is or what it cost new it has active electronics ibanez style soap bar pick ups and the head stock is open like a classical guitar if you know what model it is or what the price new is let me know (unless i got ripped off then pretend like you dont know) :cool:

2. oh yea if some one will tell me how to post a picture i will

3. Yeah, a pic would be cool! :cool:

250$ is quite cheap for an active bass. As long as you like it, you haven't been ripped off! :)

4. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    just post us a link to the ebay auction...

as obudsman said, as long as you like it, you didnt get ripped off.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Seems about the right price.

6. yea you guys are right its worth the $250.00 to me now i just need the model number so i can get the specs on it here are some pics if anyone can help.
    never mind the pics are to big. if you think you might know email me and ill send the pics as an attachment

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    send the pics to FuBbalSpieler14@hotmail.com and ill see what i can do.

8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Sounds like the one I have. I think it's model # is SAKB6690, or something like that. It's a fun bass to play IMO. I got mine used for $200 in great condition, so your price is probably about right.

9. yep that is it well it looks like it anyways thanks all and yes its great to play laters

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    [​IMG]

Has an F bass vibe to it..

11. hey tender prey wow!!!! did you know that it list for $1100 or thats what this site i was on said so i guess if its true i got one hell of a deal

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that looks damn cool

steve

13. Samick SAKB - 6690

Tender Prey was correct.

The link above was from this site: Samick

Gotta love the description for the pickups: "Mold covered"

Edit: BTW, the headstock is pretty funky-cool lookin'.

14. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

I owned a fretted and fretless SAKB series bass. These basses have one of the neatest tones I've heard. The preamp liked to buzz when I panned to the bridge pickup, though. With both pickups combined, these basses have a neat harmonic complexity. I would still have these basses if the fretted one wasn't so badly neglected before I had it. A few frets got loose because it sat in a room, right above a heater, next to an air conditioner. The bass was in line for a setup. I had to get a fretted twin! I didn't have difficulty playing this awesome bass, but could see a few frets move when I pressed down- ( 9, 10, 12, 14, 18). This bass is a good one, and I should've just refretted one and kept the matching pair, but I played them a lot and was just ready to move to some new ground. The headstock is so far, my favorite. Ever. I'm stil searchin' though. The thing about not-so-expensive basses is that your mind is on the gig, and the groove, not keeping your bass pristine. I'd sometimes rather have a cheap bass and expensive amplification.

Bottom line: In my honest opinion, this is a very neat bass. I wish, from time to time, that I'd have kept mine. Oh well.

THE GOOD: Neat shape- (F-bass-like), cool headstock, stays in tune in a gigbag, good balance, great (interesting) voice, solid, affordable, good finish, looks and sounds expensive.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD: Hard to find, buzzy (on the bridge pickup), saddle "links" tend to bend when lock allen screw is overtightened and may require underside grinding to yield low,low action.

OVERALL: A seemigly neat bass to play- A very, very affordable F-like bass with a cool headstock.

-Imagine an Aguilar pre in this pretty baby.

I think you found a good bass.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hold Up!!! You got that bass for $250??? Ripped off? I would say quite the opposite my friend!! :bassist:

16. Hey thanks all for your help i found the specs i need and feel better about my purchase

17. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I think it's a great bass for the price. I'm actually planning on putting an Augilur pre into it. I'd still have invested under $400 in it at that point and I don't consider that to be a bad price for a bass.

I really like the fact that this bass doesn't look like every other one out there. I think the fact that it reminds me of an F-bass is what drew me to it. While I wouldn't have paid near the original list price, for what I paid it's great! :D

18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio

Eh, I'd have to disagree. I think if you pay $3000 for a bass and its a piece of trash and only worth like $200, even if you like it I think its safe to say you got ripped off :)

19. Yeah, but he paid 250$, not 3000$.