Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

did i just get e-screwed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i went textbook shopping (in june--couldn't help jumping the gun a little! :hyper: ) online...

i bought several texts from half.ebay.com, and all but one turned out to be satisfactory.

it's been two months, but i STILL haven't gotten my linear algebra textbook. :mad:

here's the info from the seller: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&items=50&userid=lifelongbooks

i've seen the "this seller is on vacation" text before. but... now i just saw the words "no longer registered on ebay."

what does this mean for me!?! :eek:

am i out $30+? i contacted their customer service about... a month ago, and this registered on ebay's site. i also filed a complaint with ebay, but it's been silence ever since.

what do i do now? :(

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Get a name and location for the seller. Chances are that a fellow TB'er lives nearby. One of us can contact them locally to see what the problem is. If the person lives anywhere near me, I can follow up for you.

-Mike

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Keep trying to contact them, and also keep pestering ebay. It looks like they were getting a bit shady, there. Private feedback comments, and no longer a registered user looks pretty bad IMHO.

4. I agree, it doesn't look good.

I had a similar problem that for me turned out okay. I got a DVD from ebay that had a scratch that made the dvd skip. I was in contact with him and he made good on the dvd and I wound up buying more from him. But in the middle of all this, he sent me an email stating that ebay kick him off because his DVD are bootleg. It made me a little nervous.

One thing I was able to do which may or may not work for you is. I had his email address. I did a search in the advanced search section on ebay and was able to find out this guy had a few member profiles. I may have done it with his name or his email address, I don't remember exactly. but you can try this, it may help in tracking him down.

Another tip.

with a sign on name like "lifelongbooks" it sounds more like a privet book store owner. If you have his state and city you may be able to track him down with an online phone book.

Hope it works out for you.

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Check with your credit card company. (Assuming you paid through Paypal). You can dispute the charges to your card. Call soon though, because it's either 60 days or 90. From your post you state that it's been 2 months.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'd follow back up with Ebay. I don't know if half.com's policy is the same as a regular Ebay purchase, but they usually charge you $25 when they get you your money back. So unfortunately, you maybe be out of the $30 unless you can get in contact with the seller.

7. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    thanks, but... the location is every bit as descriptive as the quintar's: "united states of america." :rolleyes:

i also did a google search for "lifelongbooks." got eight links for other online stores. the description of each link described llb as a seller.

but going on the link, its name was missing. :mad:

8. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, i'll try the online phone book. :meh:

9. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

:meh:

i used debit card.

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Contact your bank, they still may be able to help.

11. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

alright. i'll do that on monday. :meh:

i sent another message to the so-called seller, requesting my order be cancelled. i'll file another complaint as soon as possible, as well. not sure if that'll accomplish anything--sure didn't last time. but at least i'll feel like i'm getting something done. :(

12. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    just got this email from half.com:

:hyper: