1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did I ruin A great Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chuck65, Oct 21, 2019.

1. chuck65

chuck65 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Orange Park FL.
    In 2003 I purchased a brand new CIJ Geddy Lee JB. Has the " Limited Edition" neck plate.
    I bought a set of active EMG's and took it to a local luthier / tech and asked him to do the install. All went well , EXCEPT .... When I got it back it had a battery holder installed in the back of the Bass.
    In his defense , he did call me , but I was at work and busy so I misunderstood him when he said something about " battery access ".
    SO, now that I have a modded CIJ GL JB. Is it still worth what a stock one goes for these days?
    BTW , it is a total tone monster and I would not put the stock pickups back in it even if I still had them. It's not my daily driver but works great with my old ME 50B for open mics and jams that I don't want to take my G&Ls and main rig to.
    Opinions , comments , and chastising welcome :)

jd56hawk, Sephiroth 420 and Auspuff like this.
  2. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    It's your bass, do what must be done! I modded the heck out of my CIJ Geddy to make it what I wanted. Changed pretty much everything but the color.

Is yours still worth what a stock one is? You already know that answer... it's worth what someone is willing to pay. You did not make it *more* valuable if that's what you mean.

I ended up selling mine to help fund a USA Geddy which is fantastic.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Did I ruin A great Bass?
    not if it worked for you.

4. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    What he said ^

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Nah, it's all good. And once you remove the EMG's you can put in a kickass preamp and have a place for the battery. :)

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's not going to be a collectable. Did you ruin it? No. But if someone wants a stock Fender, they might not buy it. Keep it, play it.

7. chuck65

Jun 6, 2010
    Orange Park FL.
    NOW , That is food for thought !! Both of my G&Ls are passive , so maybe it is time to make my one active Bass be all it can be !!

8. crankypants

crankypants

Aug 12, 2019
    Not from where I'm standing.

I put EMGs in a '80s MIJ Jazz, but I just put the battery in the control cavity, 3 screws to change it. I'd much prefer the holder/hatch, but to me it's not worth the trouble/expense.

chuck65 likes this.
  9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I think the only Fender Signature bass that I have seen hold its value, or even increase higher than new cost, is the USA-made Marcus Miller Jazz V.
    So no, you haven’t ruined a good bass; even in stock form the CIJ GL’s don’t fetch all that much on the used market. I recently saw (and played) one for $400 in pretty mint condition.

Alex Bass, Artman and chuck65 like this.
  10. crankypants

crankypants

Aug 12, 2019
    But not a preamp with the EMGs. They already have onboard preamps. Apologies if I am stating the obvious and you already know this.

chuck65 likes this.
  11. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    You say that it is a total tone monster and you would not put the stock pickups back in it even if you still had them so no, you didn't ruin it. What I understand is that, on the contrary, you in fact upgraded it. :thumbsup:

12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Nope, but it's still a sweet bass. You ditched the stock pickups?

Artman and chuck65 like this.
  13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    EMG pickups are active with built-in preamps as you state, but they have no onboard tone controls other than EMG's "passive" tone control. A preamp (i.e. onboard EQ) can be a great addition to a set of EMGs.

Ikkir, Artman, TrustRod and 2 others like this.
  14. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Hell, I would've done the same thing! Rock that bad boy!

TonyP-, Artman, chuck65 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I bet u could get 50 bucks for it on craigslist

16. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Its not a US 1957 p bass so no worries.You like the sound its what matters.
    Fender japan makes tools,instruments for playing without worries about condition and future value.
    Its just japanese and russian sellers who
    got a bunch of these basses cheap trying to make a profit.
    Notice that a 1985 fender japan cost is similar to a 2010 of the same model.

chuck65 likes this.
  17. Well now it's set for anyone else to do whatever they want to it right?

chuck65 likes this.
  18. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    It’s not a historical collectors item so no worries.
    EMG pickups rock in a Jazz Bass, both of mine have EMG ‘s installed, killer sound.

19. chuck65

Jun 6, 2010
    Orange Park FL.
    I sold them to a guy in brazil back in 2004. He paid a pretty penny and international shipping. Said that stuff was hard to come by where he lives , so I let them go.

20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    You have already answered your question. IMHO, Injoy your bass and stop worrying about whether it has been devalued by the mod. What's done is done, no crying over spilled milk, can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, etc.

Chances are if you decide to sell the bass, it will net a bit less, but that is only part of the picture. Since the bass sounds better to you, it will provide enhanced value every time you play it. Focus on the joy and let the rest go.

mdalamond, interp, HolmeBass and 3 others like this.