1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DID MY ROOMMATE JUST DESTROY MY SVT II?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punkrockmike, Aug 17, 2012.

1. My roommate and i both have ampeg svt II's and we just retubed his last night so he would have it up and running for his show tonight. He took mine with him as a backup, and set it next to his cab while he ran his. But he had mine turned on in standby the entire set, and he didnt plug it into a cab the entire time he had it on. I know its bad to run tube amps, or any amp for that matter, when its not hooked up to a cab or a dummy load. Could this have ruined my amp? Or the tubes? I plan on firing it up later tonight to see if it still works. Im really terrified right now seing as neither he nor i have the money to fix it if its fried.

2. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Don't sweat it. It was one night for a few hours. It was on standby, so your tubes were heated but not being pushed.
    Try it out and it'll work man.
    If it was left on over night or not on standby then I'd be concerned

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's probably ok if it was just on standby. That just runs the tube heaters, doesn't actualky power up the whole amp.

I don't know if those amps have shorting jacks on the outputs or not. If not, actually powering it on for all that time could've cooked it.

4. zaviere

zaviere

Apr 20, 2012
    as long as the amp was never turned fully on then you're ok. If it was on standby the whole time the amp should be fine. But man I'd still be PO'd. One more flick of a switch and adios transformers. Although I guess you both have the same amp. I would have just said "well looks like YOU just broke yourself your svtII." All while packing his up with the rest of your gear lol :p

5. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    You made a thread about the potential of blowing an amp and you haven't even tried to see if it works or not?

Isn't this a bit of a waste of bandwidth? Just wait until you get home and try it. Then, if it doesn't work complain on here.

6. If your amp is fried, there is an easy solution. His amp is now your amp and he gets yours.

7. As long as you don't play through it with no cab it'll be fine.

8. Haha im sorry man. I got a little carried away and i just wanted to try and ease my worries. And to be fair, isnt it just as much of a waste of bandwith to talk about how much of a waste of bandwith this is?

9. Agreed. TB is a free website (in some instances) where posts such as these can, and should be posted. Gear is expensive and not everyone is as rich as Donald Trump/Warren Buffet lol.. I would want to verify if my expensive tube amp was used in an unfamiliar situation.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it was in standby the whole time, it was fine. It's only bad if it's turned on and signal goes through it.

11. Haha thanks man. Did that 3 pro get there alright?

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yup - once you play thru it with no cab, then you're risking some damage - 'til then, no worries...

- georgestrings

13. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    Not exact. Full tube amps has to be loaded with a speaker load when their power stage is really switched on, but usually solid state amps or even digital ones are completely safe playing all life (headphones, DI) without a load attached.
    In my experience it's not so immediate and easy to burn something in a tube amp if you forget to plug the cab in. I think that this potential trouble moment could have been happened to most of us, maybe just for few seconds, without destroying our gear. IME never fried anything when I rarely switched on without a proper load. I did not keep things wrong, fixed it as soon as I could realize the problem, and everything was OK.
    Your mate kept the amp on with standby on all night? I think nothing has happened to your gear. Hope you'll find it working properly when you switch it on.
    have a good conversation with your friend, ok?

14. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Hmm, I'm thinking that it's only a waste of bandwidth after another person chimes in to talk about wasting bandwidth to talk about wasting bandwidth....wait, that just happened, so NOW there's a waste of bandwidth! :bag:

To be honest, most of my posts are a waste of bandwidth. We should start a club! Bandwidth Waster's Club member #1! Anyone else want in?

Peace, Bob ;)

15. I'll take #2. :)

16. Ill take #420_666 if thats still available. My life is a waste of bandwidth.

17. "Waste of Bandwidth" sounds like a good name for a side project.

18. Well, the amp works everybody. Thanks for all the help and support.

19. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Ya know. Two bassists. Two SVTs. Happy Neighbors.

20. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Why is it a waste of bandwidth? He didn't know if the amp was damaged, so he asked. If he had come here and said that he tried it and it was OK without describing the situation, THAT would have been a waste. A lot of other posts and threads are a waste of bandwidth, like the "one word threads", threads where one word of another was changed or the ones that someone puts in more than one folder, asking exactly the same question.

Are you the Bandwidth Police?