1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did Pino Play on The Weakness In Me?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by paul_wolfe, May 7, 2010.

1. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Just listening to some early Pino stuff - and came across a tune called The Weakness In Me by Joan Armatrading. It has all the hallmarks of 80s Pino - fretless, harmonics, similar kind of fills.

But it was recorded in 1982. So it might be slightly too early for Pino...anyone shed any light?

TIA

2. mr.hughes

mr.hughes

Sep 12, 2005
    Ireland
    Hey Paul -

Not sure if Pino played on the original but this just caught my eye as I've been playing that track on tour this year. It's such a powerful track, with heartbreaking lyrics. Good call indeed. Check it out anyone that isn't familiar with it.

3. Being a big Pino fan, I did a search on allmusic.com.
    Apparently it could be either Tony Levin or Robbie Shakespeare.

From your description (haven't heard it myself) I'd guess mr. Levin.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Was it not John Giblin?

5. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Whoever it is they're doing a killer job. If you like Pino's work with Paul Young or Don Henley (his fretless stuff) you should go check this out. It's in a similar vein. Very, very tasteful. Very cool.

6. LowHz

LowHz

Mar 13, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Mo' Bass Club #38, SWR Fan Club #154
    (Seven years later...) Was just asking myself that same question! Not the easiest question to answer, but it appears it was Tony Levin. His playing on that song set the foundation for my fretless playing decades ago.

7. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    You don't hear much of it but Mr. Levin is a wonderful flss player.