1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Did this somehow get by everybody? (D. Lakin content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by calypsocoral302, Feb 8, 2016.

1. I just saw something on Bass Central-- a new D. Lakin model called "The Shark," which made me chuckle.

Take a MM Stingray body, move the 'bucker toward the bridge, add a J single coil in the mid position, and voila! the Shark!

I apologize if this has already been posted, but I watch this forum pretty darn closely and didn't see this come up. Unless someone posted it while I was sleeping and it somehow got NO replies (highly doubtful).

Photo credit to BassCentral:
    [​IMG]

My opinion-- why did they not do this before?

The only aesthetic issue I have with it is how high the control plate comes up on the body (right up to the waist). Other than that, I think this is really cool! And yes, I like the headstock, I know a lot of guys don't, but I think it neatly blends the lines of the "Tele" style headstock on the original '51-'56 P's, with that of the '57 and later P&J headstock. Again, just my opinion.

Cool bass. I'd love to hear from someone (preferably not in a certain program) who played/heard/owns one!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. Oops! Apparently it was posted in BassCentral's "Sponsored Forum", which is an area of the site i tend not to check.

I'm going to leave this topic up here, however, as i would still like to hear what people who have tried it out have to say about it!

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Clearly Dan saw those threads because he realized how awful it was having mis-matched knobs.

;) :D

It looks better than the other ones but I still am not allowed to express my true feelings as per Talkbass rules.

4. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I would prefer it without the guard. It looks like an import. The headstock makes the neck look a mile long! That's kind of cool.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That humbucker still looks too close to the bridge for the Stingray sound, and I see no coil splitter for the 55-02 Jazz imitation. Maybe pulling up a knob splits the coils?

6. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yeah, that back pickup, especially the rear coil, looks too close to the bridge to be of much use. Definitely not in the EBMM sweet spot.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That makes this bass pointless!

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Who said it has to sound like a MM?

How can you determine so much without even trying out the instrument?

gebass6 and Templar like this.
  9. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    The earlier thread wasn't very receptive to this new model. It's obvious what is trying to be done with this, and the photo is a pretty huge improvement over the prototype pics. I think Dan should consider a MM/Lakland style bridge, as I think the oversized body sort of welcomes it.

As for the comments on the location of the MM pickup... I think it's in the right place on the body, but the smaller bridge "appears" too far forward. If the saddles are moved back during intonation (instead of being up at the front edge in the photo), the location becomes more correct in relation to the pup, but the shape of bridge is also visually misleading since that tail end of it is smaller in comparison to the MM/Lakland bridges I mentioned above. It would still be too close to Stingray sweetspot, but fairly close to Lakland positioning.

One Drop likes this.
  10. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    My dog ate my homework that day, what is this rule?

tightbidness and aaronious like this.
  11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    It's the rule that says you can't call someone's bass ugly, that someone oftentimes breaks not too cleverly by mentioning the rule in question.

12. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    Read more on this in another thread, there are J Bass models with different bridge pickup positions

http://www.talkbass.com/attachments/12644717_1243227209037413_8469217737172599581_n-jpg.782263/
    Thanks for letting me know.

I may have violated this in the Is Bass Design Settled? thread, but hey, we all have opinions. Some of us like (only) in-line machine heads, some like side-by-side, some like both, all are valid.

But I won't post my opinion here, though it is embedded somewhat in that thread.

One Drop likes this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There is a video of Dan Lakin playing a prototype. The humbucker did not sound like a Stingray soloed.

14. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Yeah, I saw that. IIRC not great sound quality.

Like his Lakland designs I don't think he is going for nailing the MM sound.

My comment was directed at jasper383, who thought the PUP would be useless if not in the MM sweet spot, and seemed to be criticizing the bass for this reason, based on sight alone.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would be much less interested in the humbucker outside of the sweet spot too unless it was set for coil splitting like the 55-94.

16. Here's another video:

The body edge radius looks really small on this LPB model.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I respect Dan'so work in the past. This new direction is just odd for him to me. I wish him all the best with it though.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a good demo. It's definitely not just a slap fest.

19. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    This is where I admit to not buying one of these for no better reason than thinking the headstock is ugly.

.... like, the worst.

gebass6 and Btbp like this.