did u know??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by suasa, Nov 7, 2004.

1. did u know that in theroy u can never actually make it to any destination?? this is because say between u and your computer screen there is a halfway point and between that half way point there is another and another and another and so on so the halfway points never end meaning the number never reacher 0 so u cant actually touch your computer screen in theroy of course it is physically possible but just think about that for a while and its a good excuse next time the mother of wife or other pants wearing weasle in your life asks u to do something.
  2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, I know exactly what your talking about. No more drugs for you.
    Haha, just kidding.
  3. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    "pants wearing weasle"...
    stop scaring me!!!
  4. Tonight would have gone way smoother had you had more beer.
  5. +1. Drink up, son.

6. sknkh

Mar 21, 2004
    Ok I've been 'lurking' around here for a long while now, never thought I would ever have anythign worth contributing, until now.

What you speak of is known as Zeno's paradox. You are right in that the distance from you to the computer can be divided by half, and half again, and half again.. etc etc (infinetly). Calling this distance "1" what you desrcibed would be 1/2 + 1/4 +1/8 +1/16 +1/32 +....etc etc, this would be infinite. However the sum of these infinite parts would equal 1.
    Hope that helps. :hyper:

/nerd mode off
  7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    The same can be said for time, so not only can you never get anywhere, but you can never even start.

Wrap your alcohol starved brain around that one for a while.
  8. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    If you play it in A minor you can. :hyper:

Be careful when you walk to the edge of space grasshopper, if you fall in, no one will ever hear from you again :eek:
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's right...we just keep going in circles.

brad cook
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, that is why we pick a unit of measure to work with, like feet and inches, -or the system used by godless commies, the metric system. :smug: ;)
  11. Just remember "Where ever you go, so there you are"

Beer's kinda strong up there in White Horse, huh. With your theory, next time just tell your drummer that "I'm not off tempo, the sound waves are never reaching you" :D :D :D

Party on Garth. Party on Wayne
  12. This doesn't really mean it's impossible to get somewhere. I move from one location to another all the time. If, as people always assume, the universe is infinate, then we take up an unmeasurably small percentage of the universe and therefore don't exist. But you know, we do exist. Or.....so we think. :meh:
  13. ::touches monitor::

14. Bah. With my Delorean and the cruise control set to 88 mph, I can get to anywhere I want, anytime I want.

And I mean anywhere and anytime .

So there. :spit:

15. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Did you know you spelt you wrong?
  16. wow i didn't think i would get so many responses implying i had too much beer on my hands especially since i am 15 but meh whatever.
  17. Well, ratio-wise one never reaches the destination, but if you've ever taken advanced math...

For example, have you ever done a math problem like this:

If a rabbit runs 4 miles in the first hour, 2 miles in the next hour, 1 mile in the hour after that, and so on, how many miles will he run in total? (if he keeps running forever)

The answer is '8 miles', by the way.
  18. So thats why I like metric so much.

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    good man.