Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Diezel Lucy 400W Tube Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fuzzhead, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    I emailed Peter about this, he said it'll be released this year and be a very simple head called Lucy.

It looks like it'll have 8 x EL-34B's in the power section, same type as in the SA-200. If it's anything like his Herbert guitar head, it'll be massively powerful, military specs, each tube pair should be individually biasable, (accept EL-34/6L6/6550/KT88 etc), and be dead reliable.

I actually own a Diezel Herbert and IMO he's a few clicks above Koch as far as hi gain switching guitar heads go, I never ever ran out of headroom with this amp plus it sounded great at low volumes too, so I would assume the overdrive sounds on the bass head would be stellar too.

Herberts and VH-4's run at 4K US,(obviously not for everyone although much cheaper in Europe), Salwender the US distributor is in Orange California. Here's the links:

http://www.diezelamplification.com/html/lucy.htm

http://www.salwender.com/Amps_Diezel.htm

Looks like the latest version of the head on the right pic. There's nothing about Lucy on the Salwender site btw.

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I was JUST on their site a day ago looking for info on the upcoming bass head! I heard about it awhile ago but there's still no info on the site about it? Sounds sick though!...

~S~

3. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Should be pretty fine on top of my Bergantino NV610! I love tube bass heads that actually look like hot-rodded amps (like the V8). Lose the logo and you're sweet.
    The original buyer gets a lifetime warranty (parts/labour) with Diezel also, in the unlikely event of a breakdown. :)

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, you have my attention! :D

5. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Revised specs are 8 x 6550's standard , 400-500Watts. Although I think you'll be able to bias for any tube type, he generally uses a trimpot per duet/pair. :)

6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Has anyone seen my jaw? I think I dropped it...

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    What's the pre-section going to be like as far as type of tubes, eq, how many ch's, etc?...

~S~

8. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Looks like 2 channels from the pics, that's all the info I have to date. He really knows overdrive sounds though. The Herbert has the quietest noise floor on a high gain head I've heard (without a noise gate).

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...hmmmm, sounds like it's going to try & be a "V-8 Killer"...

~S~

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Is there anyway you could buy it in Europe and ship it here? Seems like 4k, even for a top-notch head, is a bit steep.

11. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Play through a Diezel before you say that :)

Their guitar amps are amazing, so I can only assume that the bass amp will be, as well. Didn't see any mention of it at NAMM, but if it's still a prototype I wouldn't expect to.

12. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Ok, I just got my Berg NV610. Put the Eden WT-550 through it and it sounded great. I'm thinking I probably don't need a tube amp at this stage. But Tombowlus had me thinking with his SA200 review. I'd emailed Peter Diezel a few days ago to see if it was safe to use my Herbert's poweramp for bass...I thought it was but better safe than sorry...he emailed me back and in typical German form said "Bevan!! Please check out the Herbert Powerstage...go in through the serial loop input". So I thought why not, I'll see what the fuss is about Tube poweramps (for bass). Just for clarification, the Diezel Herbert is the best by far tube poweramp for guitar I've ever heard (6xEL-34B STR's @ 150W).

So I put the Eden preamp through the Herbert Poweramp. Instant increase in grit, dynamics and musical tones. This is really impressive.

Then I decide to try my Millenia STT-1 preamp through it on the solid state setting. This, through the Crown K2 and the El Whappo have been my favourite sound to date. Well the STT-1 + Herbert Poweramp + Bergt NV610 is absolute bulls**t!! Authentic Mudvayne and Helmet tones are all there, from the fastest slap to the grindiest pick grooves. All I can say is, if this is what the Herbert sounds like with Bass, then the new Diezel Lucy will be kickass to the power of 10!! I'm using a Fender MM4 through this with no EQ, and I don't feel any needs to be added. Now I get what the tube guys are going on about.

The Berg NV610 is better than any Ampeg cab I've used , trust me on this. I've had too much to drink but my ears don't lie.:D

13. Nice!!! Now I'm craving the Sadowsky and the Diezel..

14. Quintheskimo

Quintheskimo Guest

Aug 24, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wow, this is a dream come true! The Diezel VH4 and Herbert are my absolute favorite guitar amps, and have always hoped Peter would make a bass amp of that calliber.
    I do wonder what "simple" will mean in terms of feature set.

15. Will it be hand wired, or have more PCBs than my computer?

16. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    PCBs. I've looked inside a Herbert a few times and they are very tidy, military-spec wiring and neatly layed out, over-built transformers etc etc. Very low failure rates on these, plus he gives the initial owner a lifetime guarantee. I'm sure he would do a great point-to-point amp, but then only Tom could afford one! I've read Diezel's origins were in Hiwatts so I imagine Lucy might be voiced this way but who knows...

Apparently John Suhr will be making a bass amp too in the future, I'm sure that will be awesome! He makes the CAA OD 100 which is the other hi-gain head that's attracted rave reviews, the dirty channel is the open-sounding opposite of the Herbert, whilst the clean channel is considered the very best available. With everything else he's doing though we'll be lucky to see it next year. :)

BTW Herbert is Peter Diezel's father's name, Einstein is his dog, and Lucy...not sure, take a guess.

17. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I tried the Suhr amp and was a little dissapointed. Maybe the hype got to me and I was expecting too much. To date I haven't found a channel switching amp that really shone on both channels (or three in the case of the Mk3 boogie) and was expecting (hoping) the Suhr to be just that. Shame really.

18. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Which channel of the OD 100 didn't you like? I've never heard a bad comment yet about the clean channel, plenty of gushing praise mostly. I think the dirty channel all depends what type of overdrive you're after, the OD is from all accounts very "open" sounding. I haven't had the chance to compare one to my Diezel, but I have talked to a few who have...some prefer the Herbert's somewhat compressed overdrive, some the Suhr. But I think they're both up there. The Suhr needs a fair bit of volume to reach it's sweet tone, the Herbert sounds good even at whisper levels. YMMV.

19. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...what makes anyone here think Tombowlus is the ONLY one that can possibly/want to afford/buy the possible upcoming Diezel bass amp?...

~S~

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    LOL, my guess is that you'll beat me to it, my friend, just like with the V8! :D