Difference between Flatwounds and Roundwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by semborg, Apr 28, 2005.

1. What is the difference between flatwounds and roundwounds?
    btw, what is Halfrounds?
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well most strings are made with a core, shaped round or hexagonal or whatever, and then are wrapped with an outter winding. The outter winding is what determines flatwound or roundwound or halfround. Its about the shape of the wire thats wrapped around the core.

flatwound is like a ribbon wrapped around the core, so the result is a string that feels smooth.

Roundwounds is like wrapping another string around the core. Because it is round, the resulting wrap has little bumps in it, as opposed to the flat.

Halfrounds are exactly that, flat on the surface that touches the core, round on the outside (I believe - someone correct me if I got that backwards). So you get more contact with the core, but have the feel of the roundwound string.

Flatwounds tend to be duller and thumpier sounding, and last a looooooong time because they start dull and get more dull as time goes on, but thats usually the sound people are after with flats. They also dont tear up frets or fingerboards nearly as much as roundwounds. Roundwounds sound brighter and have more sustain than flats usually.
  3. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Actually the half rounds I've used are just the opposite. Round against the core and flat to the fingers. More lively than flats and still smooth on the outside - easier on fretless boards.
  4. Thank you alot.
    Good answer!

Now my problem is. I want to find Halfrounds that are
    040 - 1.20 (5-string set).
    And I cannot find.
    I can find 040- 095 (4-string set)
    But no 5 string set with that light strings.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    See, told ya someone would correct me if I had it backwards lol :) Thanks Eric!
  6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

That, I can't help with hehe. I've never actually heard of a B string that skinny, but I have pretty limited knowledge and experience. Im sure someone will chime in with more info about your specific wants.
  7. My favorite strings ever are GHS brite flats, which are halfrounds. I would reccomend those for anyone who wants the good things about both flats and rounds. It's the best thing that's ever happened to my sound.
  8. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    You've been asking about this 120 string for some time now and i checked the catalogue for the swedish d'addario dealer and they don't offer a single 120 string in any sort. They do offer 130 in the most sorts and a 125 XL Nickelplated roundwound. I don't know any other company that sells single strings here in sweden

*Edit:* Ernie ball sells single 125 & 130 slinky roundwounds, they sell a pack called "5-string super slinky" that has the 125 in it.
  9. Thank you.
    I think this is really strange.
    I think 130 is way to thick.
    125 would be nice.

A 5 string set like this is what I want. (Halfround or Flatwound)
    040 060 075 095 125
  10. Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    some guy today argued to me how flatwound strings may ruin your fret board if you were playing fretless?!?!
  11. He's wrong. What was the jist of his argument- I'm curious?
  12. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Its the other way around, but it still takes a while to do so...
  13. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    This might be what your looking for then, besides that it's roundwound. I don't know of any 5-string set sets or singles in your gauge. The only flatwound single i could find was 110 and 132 chromes

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

You might want to try Thomastik Infeld Jazz Rounds. They have small windings, so they don't feel like your normal roundwounds, and they even sound pretty close to the Jazz Flats. The B string is .119. Very light tension string, too. The smaller outer windings are very nice to the fingers, and they certainly won't be very rough on your fretless.
  15. sounds nice, gotta try them