1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Difference between MTD J5 and MTD Saratoga???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gzarruk, Oct 20, 2009.

1. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
    Hi I really thought that MTD J5 was the USA Jazz version of MTD and Saratoga was the no USA Jazz MTD but in ThePerfectBass.com they have a J5 but They call it Saratoga(http://www.theperfectbass.com/explo...103128101&W=STORE&P=N&S=1001081&U=1&SS=1&CR=Y) and they have a video were they call it the american Saratoga or something like that but Norm Stockton has one and he call it J5 and Michael Tobias too () ... please help me.

2. Dude, its a USA Saratoga plain and simple. This video is quite old. What happened is Mike caved into customers inquiring about him making a "Jazz Bass" type bass. Mike did not really want to because everyone else is doing it. At first he was planing on having the necks and bodies being built in Korea - then assembling here to keep costs down. They did not have a name yet when he built the first few. Norm Stockton got #2 for evaluation - so it was being referred to as the J5. the official name is the USA Saratoga or now Saratoga. the previous Saratoga's were Korean made - but did not look like the new USA version.

There are a few videos of Mike explaining the MTD Saratoga (J5)

3. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
    Well I´ve seen this video and now I´m more confused because behind michael are a few J5´s and he is talking of a production bass, not a USA MTD and they have different controls and pickups so I´m more confused...sorry but I want one so I want to know more about those american
    Anyway thanks and hope if you can help me again

4. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
    I Finally found the answer here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478942&highlight=

So thanks alex but you where wrong and thanks Vic who helped me and he didn´t know that!

5. where am I wrong??? I said he was calling them the J5 at first then the Saratoga. I may not have had 100% correct info regarding the reasons the name change symantics. The Saratoga you all are referring to is probably the original which is an import and of course is a completely different bass than the J5/"New" USA Saratoga. I own one and It has not been made for years.
    None the less whether you buy one of the first units named a J5 or a "New" USA Saratoga - they are exactly the same bass. Now, it looks like he will be making an import entry level version "New" Saratoga too.

6. Thats because he is going to stick to his original mission of making the J5 (New Saratoga) in Korea. Im sure he will make a hand made USA model too.

7. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
    Well... you were right, not at 100% but right so sorry and thank you

8. NP - so are you gonna throw down the $3-4k or so for a USA and get one?? or you gonna wait for the "new" import Saratoga for probably $1k (or less from the sounds of it)

9. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
  10. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
    I´m actually thinking on buying an Fender Standard Jazz 5 string in a few months and then I´ll going for the MTD´s.
    I wanted one like this: http://www.bassexchange.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=94_95_387&products_id=1133 with maple board and neck... but then I saw this that Vic was selling : http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474654&highlight= so I prefer this but with complete ash body and only one maple burl not two and can´t decide if a maple or ash neck... but I have much time so I won´t worry.

My second MTD will be a Norm Stockton 535(love that bass)