Differences in wiring?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TFM_Steve, Feb 27, 2010.

1. TFM_Steve

TFM_Steve

Feb 26, 2010
    Lindenhurst, NY
    Hello everyone,

this is my first post and I hope I don't make a fool of myself. I fished around TB and didn't find the answer to my exact question so I was hoping you guys can shed some light on the situation for me. Here goes:

I am currently ordering new parts for my Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass and wanted to save a few dollars by doing the work myself. So with the new pickups on order I felt it was a good idea to look at wiring diagrams and compair them to how my bass is actually wired so I can get a clear and precise idea as to what is what. I found a wiring diagram from the EMG web site that shows the standard way to wire a P/J combo. When I compared it to the actual wiring in my bass they were totally different. Now I am stuck with a few questions.

1. Is the wiring diagram provided by EMG specific to EMG pickups alone or will it work for any passive P/J combo?

2. Would it wiser to wire my bass EXACTLY as I have it now or to follow the diagram?

If I inadvertently left out any pertinent information please let me know and I will provide you with more information to the best of my ability.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

2. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Hard to tell without knowing which EMG pickups - some are active, some are not. What is different? Which wiring diagrams are you using?

The principle of wiring is the same - however, pickup manufacturers use different colored wires all the time, so that may be different for the EMGs, as well as the type of pickup and how the Fender is wired now.

Edit - would help to see the two diagrams you are talking about. Sometimes a wiring diagram can look different but is electrically the same.

3. bassmanbiff

bassmanbiff

Apr 3, 2008
    As I recall the EMG schematics can be a little confusing compared to some others since they've got some of their own ideas to simplify wiring their own modules together and it can a little awkward to translate it to others.

Technically, they're the same but those from other mgr's might be a little more obvious.

4. TFM_Steve

TFM_Steve

Feb 26, 2010
    Lindenhurst, NY
    I would show you the diagram but the PDF is too large to upload to the forum :( Well to answer your question: the diagram provided by EMG is for wiring a passive P/J combo. Although I did not order EMG pickups I figured that the wiring should be similar if not the same.

In EMG diagram it shows the black wire soldered to the 1st volume put, then conencted to the second volume pot, then connected to the tone pot then to jack ground.

This wiring is not the same for my bass as it is now.

5. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    So the black wire is the ground. There are many ways to connect all the grounds.

Sounds like you have a VVT setup - any standard jazz bass wiring diagram should work.

6. TFM_Steve

TFM_Steve

Feb 26, 2010
    Lindenhurst, NY
    Ok then. I was just making sure that I wouldn't be causing a huge head ache when come crunch time. Thank you guys again for your help. Very much appreciated. I will let you know how things pan out when im done with everything. This will be a few weeks as my pick ups are being shipped from the UK to Virginia then to me in NY. About 3 weeks :( Plus having to find the time and energy after work to do this work. But it shall be done! Thanks again!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021