1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Different picks?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ive heard about alot of different picks, gauge picks, coppar etc, whats the big difference between them?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Thickness is one way they are different.

-Mike

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    And width, shape, etc. I started off using a pick, then switched to fingerstyle. While I don't use a pick anymore, I can get an interesting tone by "dragging" a coin or my thumb and index fingernails (almost pressed together) across the strings with a picking stroke.

4. Thickness. That's what the "guage" number is for. You get to decide which thickness works for you and then you have a number to use to find new picks after you've thrown all you own out into the crowd during your gigs!;)

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    hahah:D ahwell, is there really a difference in sound depending on the size as someone said?

6. All kinds of differences in picks.

Size, shape, thickness, hardness, "give," grip, material, feel, the way they wear...

I prefer nylon picks- specifically Herco .75mm.
    PK15-H-GRY.

My other favorites are the Brain 1mm and 1.14mm (I really love the grip on these, I was introduced to them as "cat's tongue picks." The grip feels like a cat's tongue!
    [​IMG]

And the Jim Dunlop 1mm and .88mm nylon.

[​IMG]
    mipick.

7. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I love dunlop ultex picks. They never fall out of my hand and they last and last! :bassist:

8. Clayton large triangle Acetal 1.25mm picks for me - they last much much longer than the purple Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm, and they can also sound smoother, yet retain the harmonics in a different way - you actually get to hear the harmonics of the string instead of the toneless "click" from the Dunlops...

The matte finish feels good too:)