1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Digital 8 Tracks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JRB, Jan 9, 2004.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi everyone,
    I am planning on getting a digital 8 track and I was wondering if anyone owned one or had a recomendation. I am mainly going to use it for writing ie composition, practice and for recording jam sessions, maybe even for a demo. My budget is around $500-$600. Thanks alot I really appreciate the advice.

Peace
    Jonathan

2. I own several (5) Alesis Adats. I would recommend them for song writers such as yourself.

I have also recorded many 3 and 4 piece groups LIVE with my Adats, they sound awesome and are easy to run!

http://www.alesis.com/

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Recently I acquired a Fostex VF-160. It's a digital 8 track hard disk recorder with about 5 hours' worth of disk space. 8 simultaneous tracks of recording, 16 for playback. It has built-in digital EQ and effects, built-in mixer, and a built-in CD burner (which you can use to burn audio CD's, and also to back up your digital data in .WAV or other format). Also it has a MIDI interface for sync'ing to your computer or outboard gear, and an ADAT LightPipe for hooking up to ADAT-compatible gear. I got my VF-160 new for around 700 bucks on eBay. We've been using it to record rehearsals, it's excellent for that purpose. For instance, I can take a recording, and if there's a song I want to put on our next demo, I can dump it to the computer using the LightPipe interface (all 8 digital tracks at once), and mix it there using all the sophisticated software plug-ins. Then if I discover that the bass player (that's me) screwed up a note but the rest of the recording was perfect, I can midi-Sync the modified tracks back to the Fostex, run it over to the studio and drop in a new bass track, and sync the new track back into the computer. It's a very useful toy, it's in its first incarnation so it's still a little basic, but all the essential stuff is there. Definitely worth a check-out, pretty good buy for the price.

4. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Thank you very much I appreciate all the help I will give it a look

5. odie

odie Supporting Member